Train Ticket - Crazy Pricing

My brother-in-law came to visit by train at the weekend from London.

As we live off the A57 near Dinnington, his return journey was going to be Worksop to Retford, Retford to London.

Book a ticket from Worksop to London and he would have had to pay £59.00 single.

However a single from Retford to London was £11.00, and the 10 minute Worksop to Retford £4.10. Total £15.10.

Price difference to use exactly the same trains £44.00

Who the hell comes up with these crazy pricing structures. :loopy::loopy:

I needed to travel to Manchester a week or two ago, for an appointment.

I clicked online, and the price was £4.50.

I clicked on the price to accept, and book, and, lo and behold, they were asking £30 each way!!!!

Eventually I managed to buy the tickets for £14 return.

Flaming ridiculous.

The more complicated the pricing structure is, the more people get caught out and the more money the train companies can make.

Personally the whole industry needs an overhaul including airlines. how its legal to up the price of a plane ticket if you check the price a day later, even though a person who didn't gets a cheaper price is beyond me!

The more complicated the pricing structure is, the more people get caught out and the more money the train companies can make.

Personally the whole industry needs an overhaul including airlines. how its legal to up the price of a plane ticket if you check the price a day later, even though a person who didn't gets a cheaper price is beyond me!

That most likely happens because you get different fare buckets that tickets fall into and will have many different conditions attached to them.

An example could be ticket A priced at £299 could have 28 day advance purchase condition to it. So at T-27 days before departure that fare could very well not be available and the next fare bucket becomes available at £349 with and 21 day advance purchase to it.

My brother-in-law came to visit by train at the weekend from London.

As we live off the A57 near Dinnington, his return journey was going to be Worksop to Retford, Retford to London.

Book a ticket from Worksop to London and he would have had to pay £59.00 single.

However a single from Retford to London was £11.00, and the 10 minute Worksop to Retford £4.10. Total £15.10.

Price difference to use exactly the same trains £44.00

Who the hell comes up with these crazy pricing structures. :loopy::loopy:

Thanks for that Sproutbum, I'd always assumed the ticketing websites would find the most cost effective tickets. I regularly make a journey which costs £33.00, involving one change. By splitting the tickets I can make the same journey for £17.00. I owe you a beer!

The same thing happens if you travel into North Yorkshire. It can be cheaper to buy a ticket to the last stop in West Yorkshire and then another from there to your destination in North Yorkshire. In fact you can buy a ticket for the journey from West to North Yorkshire from the conductor on the train from South Yorkshire.

I recall of this a few years ago, but things are always changing.

Strictly speaking, the ticket is only valid for the journey specified but I can't see anyone getting off and then getting back on the same train.

If you go from A to B via C, does the train have to stop at C for your ticket to be valid?

I think there is a website which shows these split journeys.

Archived