Train Ticket - Crazy Pricing

It always pays to try an split a journey if you can done it several times

You are so right !

Last Saturday :

Northallerton to Sheffield return £37.60

Northallerton to York £11.60. - York to Sheffield £18.70 . Return - total £30.30.

A saving of £7.30p. - I had to change at York anyway .

To rub salt into the wound , a days return to london was advertised at £19.00p. Just over half the price to Sheffield .

Damn. Just realised - could I have bought a return ticket to london and just used it to Sheffield return ?

I think a Yorkshireman has just been bloody well and true'ly had.

You are so right !

Last Saturday :

Northallerton to Sheffield return £37.60

Northallerton to York £11.60. - York to Sheffield £18.70 . Return - total £30.30.

A saving of £7.30p. - I had to change at York anyway .

To rub salt into the wound , a days return to london was advertised at £19.00p. Just over half the price to Sheffield .

Damn. Just realised - could I have bought a return ticket to london and just used it to Sheffield return ?

I think a Yorkshireman has just been bloody well and true'ly had.

No- because there are no trains that go from Northallerton and London calling at Sheffield and it would not be a permitted route for that ticket for journeys between Northallerton and London.

No - because as you would have bought an Advance ticket which is a contract to take you between Northalleron and London -getting off early is a breach of that contract which means a new ticket and possibly a fine and or criminal conviction.

More expensive tickets are sometimes available which allow a break of journey.

:hihi:

No- because there are no trains that go from Northallerton and London calling at Sheffield and it would not be a permitted route for that ticket for journeys between Northallerton and London.

No - because as you would have bought an Advance ticket which is a contract to take you between Northalleron and London -getting off early is a breach of that contract which means a new ticket and possibly a fine and or criminal conviction.

More expensive tickets are sometimes available which allow a break of journey.

Sorry . I didn't buy an advanced ticket , I bought it on the day .

When I purchased the ticket I was told be the vendor that there was nothing to stop me breaking my journey on a Northallerton to Sheffield , i.e. at York . One would therefor assume that there was no problem breaking my journey between Northallerton and London, i.e Sheffield . Or is that to simplistic?

As an added rider - We are in the back of beyond but we do have trains from Northallerton to London - two a day .:hihi:

No - because as you would have bought an Advance ticket which is a contract to take you between Northalleron and London -getting off early is a breach of that contract which means a new ticket and possibly a fine and or criminal conviction..

Yes, a while back there was a news story about a chap who was travelling on an advance saver type ticket, fully intending to use as bought, but en route was able to arrange to be picked up by his wife at a station before the end of his journey. They stopped him at the station and issued a fine. Another person was taken ill and got off the train early and the same thing happened to them. Rotten sods!

Sorry . I didn't buy an advanced ticket , I bought it on the day .

When I purchased the ticket I was told be the vendor that there was nothing to stop me breaking my journey on a Northallerton to Sheffield , i.e. at York . One would therefor assume that there was no problem breaking my journey between Northallerton and London, i.e Sheffield . Or is that to simplistic?

Yes you can break your your journey wherever you want on a normal ticket. On an advance ticket, which any that is £19.00 from Northallerton - London will have been, you are not permitted to break your journey, stop short or start late.

An off peak return, which would allow you to break your journey is £109. A brief look at the (labyrinthine) routing guide would indicate that Northallerton - Sheffield - London is a permitted route.

I'm not sure where the £37.60 fare comes from, but an offpeak SHF-NTL is £35.90, a significantly lower cost than the equivalent fare to London.

Yes you can break your your journey wherever you want on a normal ticket. On an advance ticket, which any that is £19.00 from Northallerton - London will have been, you are not permitted to break your journey, stop short or start late.

An off peak return, which would allow you to break your journey is £109. A brief look at the (labyrinthine) routing guide would indicate that Northallerton - Sheffield - London is a permitted route.

I'm not sure where the £37.60 fare comes from, but an offpeak SHF-NTL is £35.90, a significantly lower cost than the equivalent fare to London.

The £37.60 quote came from the mouth of the ticket vendor , as did the price which I paid . However , I thank you for your clarification , but it still demonstrates the very crazy pricing system which exists .

The £37.60 quote came from the mouth of the ticket vendor , as did the price which I paid . However , I thank you for your clarification , but it still demonstrates the very crazy pricing system which exists .

Just to clarify, I'm not saying you weren't sold a ticket for £37.60, it's just I can't see where that price comes from - it's not listed in any of the ticket bands I can see through National Rail Enquiries.

I wouldn't say the pricing system is crazy, but the implementation is. There's nothing wrong / crazy about selling cheaper tickets in advance with more restrictions, with on-the-day, turn-up-and-go style tickets being more expensive. Even the price breaks and allocations isn't that mad. The problem comes that with the range of fares and options, is that it's impossible to just buy "the cheapest" ticket between two places.

Thanks for that Sproutbum, I'd always assumed the ticketing websites would find the most cost effective tickets. I regularly make a journey which costs £33.00, involving one change. By splitting the tickets I can make the same journey for £17.00. I owe you a beer!

The downside of split tickets is that if you miss a connection for whatever reason (delayed earlier train for example) then they are not obliged to help you out.

The downside of split tickets is that if you miss a connection for whatever reason (delayed earlier train for example) then they are not obliged to help you out.

They are actually - provided:

- the tickets are for a single journey

- the tickets cover a valid itinerary (i.e. you could buy the same journey as a single ticket)

- any changes include the minimum interchange times (normally 10 minutes, but may be as much as 30 minutes for some stations)

If you're in this situation, you should always get the guard of your delayed portion to endorse your ticket to state why you turn up late at the next train. If you're changing at big station, you should get the station staff there to endorse your next ticket (they can overrule the ticket restrictions).

I've done exactly this several times with split tickets without issues (apart from a few grumpy faces when an information point staff member realises that they need to do something).

Archived