Does the COUNTRY where your meat comes from matter to YOU?

Janus

I bought a bulk pack of chicken recently from a well-known established butchers. The shop has a great number of customers, and invariably there will be one or two people (sometimes more) waiting to be served when you enter-there is a very fast turnover of the meat in general. I have always found their products to be fresh.

The chicken I bought is sold in individual portions/pieces from the same bulk packs, but by buying one of these large packs there is quite a discount. The packs are chilled not frozen, and I bagged it all up in to freezer bags and froze it. I am down to the last one or two pieces now, and although it tastes fine, I was a bit surprised by the country of origin not being the UK.

Keeping things in perspective, we get some lamb from New Zealand, and no doubt other cuts of meat from around the world. Providing the meat is of the type that it is supposed to be (i.e. not horse) , then does it matter to you which country it has come from, and if so, why?

I bought a bulk pack of chicken recently from a well-known established butchers. The shop has a great number of customers, and invariably there will be one or two people (sometimes more) waiting to be served when you enter-there is a very fast turnover of the meat in general. I have always found their products to be fresh.

The chicken I bought is sold in individual portions/pieces from the same bulk packs, but by buying one of these large packs there is quite a discount. The packs are chilled not frozen, and I bagged it all up in to freezer bags and froze it. I am down to the last one or two pieces now, and although it tastes fine, I was a bit surprised by the country of origin not being the UK.

Keeping things in perspective, we get some lamb from New Zealand, and no doubt other cuts of meat from around the world. Providing the meat is of the type that it is supposed to be (i.e. not horse) , then does it matter to you which country it has come from, and if so, why?

Unless its Chernobyl! Nope!

Couldnt care less as long as its in date!

Fortunately, here in Australia, our meat comes from Australia. Mind you, thinking of the size of the place, it's a bit like saying that meat in Europe comes from Europe (and NZ)!

But I'm a bit horrified by TV of our farmers ploughing in vegetables and fruit (a personal friend fed his avocados to his pigs because it wasn't worth sending them to market), while the supermarkets are full of imported produce from the USA!

Absolutely it matters :nod:

If my foie gras does not come fom Alsace or Périgord, I can't be sure that the goose has been force-fed using traditional feed (herbs, then starch, then corn) and methods (plunger-like), whereby the liver meat may have none of the resulting characteristics expected.

You wouldn't buy "Champagne" from Australia, Chile or South Africa...would you?

:wink:

Archived