Are Libraries Still Required?

Attention book worms, does anyone still use libraries and do they still serve a purpose?

I live around the corner from the one at Crystal Peaks and use it often for printing and photo copying.

I do not know what I would do without it, it is a vital resource.

I have always liked the way that small companies use the centre for meeting points, like job clubs, arts classes etc...

I was wondering with the internet nowadays whether people have time or are even bothered to visit the library and do things.

Sheffield Libraries are brilliant :thumbsup:

I live close to Ecclesall library and use it regularly. I like that I can order any book that Sheffield Libraries own from their online site and then it's delivered to my local branch. Once it's ready and waiting they email me to let me know and I then go and pick it up.

The catalogue is searchable and any book is a couple of clicks away. If I go on holiday within the UK I always order up the relevant Ordnance Survey maps of the area which saves me a lot of money :)

Here's their site, all you need is your library card and PIN to log in:

http://library.sheffield.gov.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?ps=qwp54Kk1v9/CL/0/49

What he ^^ said. Having Hillsborough library nearby is a bonus for me, I borrow a couple of books every week. And even though I have a pc, I use one at the library to visit the Ancestry site, as its free to Sheffield Library members.

I also use the Central Library for the reference area, the building itself is worth a visit. My grandchildren have taken part in a national reading challenge during the summer holidays and enjoyed it. They've been members of their library since they were tiny, it's a good (and cheap) way of encouraging children to read.

I use quite a few of the Sheffield Libraries and usually have about eight to ten books out on loan at any one time. They are good. Central is of course best but some of the branch ones are OK too and there is usually at least one or two books to lend even in the satellite ones. Highfield is the worst I know. Yesterday I was in there and didn't see a single book, that I wanted to read and left empty handed. Perhaps if my first language was Bengali or Polish, then I might have had more luck.

I know that libraries have added more than just picking out books these days but I think they could still utilise the room in the building for other functions e.g. when we were kids we had a film shows twice a week it was like a cinema for kids, dance lessons, karate lessons, AA meetings and other meetings such like, kids birthday parties, in other words for a library to survive it has to become both library and community center, surely charging a small fee for each activity would help.

Archived