Are Libraries Still Required?

What he ^^ said. Having Hillsborough library nearby is a bonus for me, I borrow a couple of books every week. And even though I have a pc, I use one at the library to visit the Ancestry site, as its free to Sheffield Library members.

I didn't know about the Ancestry site being free on library PCs. Thanks for the tip :)

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 10:11 ----------

I know that libraries have added more than just picking out books these days but I think they could still utilise the room in the building for other functions e.g. when we were kids we had a film shows twice a week it was like a cinema for kids, dance lessons, karate lessons, AA meetings and other meetings such like, kids birthday parties, in other words for a library to survive it has to become both library and community center, surely charging a small fee for each activity would help.

Ecclesall library has such a room.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 10:16 ----------

I use quite a few of the Sheffield Libraries and usually have about eight to ten books out on loan at any one time. They are good. Central is of course best but some of the branch ones are OK too and there is usually at least one or two books to lend even in the satellite ones. Highfield is the worst I know. Yesterday I was in there and didn't see a single book, that I wanted to read and left empty handed. Perhaps if my first language was Bengali or Polish, then I might have had more luck.

I didn't understand what you meant at first because of course every library has thousands of books to lend. Then I realised that you meant you couldn't find many books to borrow.

I'd suggest searching the library catalogue online and ordering up the books you want. See my post (#3) above for the link.

I was wondering with the internet nowadays whether people have time or are even bothered to visit the library and do things.

Libraries are still important becuase they offer internet access. If you don't have the internet at home that's often the best option.

Then there's all the old fashioned uses for libraries, all in all still very important. :)

I love the calm environment of libraries, like a place of commune and somewhere to reflect.

I use the computer facilities a lot and the staff is always helpful, it would be my ideal place to work really.

I have attended arts classes at Crystal Peaks, they do have other things on as they have a wall filled with flyers next to the Housing reception desk, oh and a lovely coffee shop in there is also sweet.

I sometimes rent films and music from there as well.

I use our local library, but rarely take out more than 10 books a fortnight.

I take out some non-fiction, often instructional (how to, e.g. "How to grow orchids"), or philosophical (Where does religion come from?).

Then there's the fiction. I browse the shelves looking for authors I've come to like, and for interesting titles which bring new authors to my notice; thus, I saw "The Last Camel Died at Noon", was intrigued, and found myself in the wonderful world of "Amelia Peabody". This proved expensive, as we felt compelled to buy all the books of the series!

I use my library with the kids regularly, we only really borrow books from ours. Mrs Mcbeth, when you say it's free to library members, do you mean the computer or the ancestry site itself? That would be of interest to my mum!

As far as I'm aware Ancestrylibrary.com is still free to members using library computers. Hopefully your mum will find it useful.

I'm probably a bit of a hypocrite because although the thought of my local library closing down horrifies me, I don't use it enough.

Having said that - I am intending to use the 'inter library loan' service at some point in the near future; Something Waterstones or the internet can't provide yet

I love the calm environment of libraries, like a place of commune and somewhere to reflect.

I use the computer facilities a lot and the staff is always helpful, it would be my ideal place to work really.

I have attended arts classes at Crystal Peaks, they do have other things on as they have a wall filled with flyers next to the Housing reception desk, oh and a lovely coffee shop in there is also sweet.

I sometimes rent films and music from there as well.

I agree bedders. I normally sit down and reflect reading a good book and sourcing the goodness of the DVD rental section. I find the staff helpful and sometimes have a drink using a straw :)

Archived