Are Libraries Still Required?

I didn't understand what you meant at first because of course every library has thousands of books to lend. Then I realised that you meant you couldn't find many books to borrow.

then perhaps you would care to suggest, why they are called lending libraries, pedant?

some libraries are definitely better than others. With my range of interests If walk around somewhere for as long as 10 minutes without seeing something even vaguely interesting then it really must be garbage.

at one time Highfield used to be a lot bigger. I grew up round there and it was my local library. There used to be an entire upstairs bit.

then perhaps you would care to suggest, why they are called lending libraries, pedant?

some libraries are definitely better than others. With my range of interests If walk around somewhere for as long as 10 minutes without seeing something even vaguely interesting then it really must be garbage.

at one time Highfield used to be a lot bigger. I grew up round there and it was my local library. There used to be an entire upstairs bit.

I must admit at this point that I don't think Sheffield's libraries stack up that well against the library facilities I've come across elsewhere in the country. I may be ever so slightly of the opinion that Sheffield City Council don't give public libraries the priority that they deserve.

Then perhaps you would care to suggest, why they are called lending libraries, pedant?

Some libraries are definitely better than others. With my range of interests If walk around somewhere for as long as 10 minutes without seeing something even vaguely interesting then it really must be garbage.

At one time Highfield used to be a lot bigger. I grew up round there and it was my local library. There used to be an entire upstairs bit.

They're called lending libraries because they lend books.

So Highfield Library has closed the entire upstairs section? I used to use that library when I lived nearby. I knew it had closed for 'improvements', I just didn't realise they had to halve the size to improve it. It's crazy.

I must admit at this point that I don't think Sheffield's libraries stack up that well against the library facilities I've come across elsewhere in the country. I may be ever so slightly of the opinion that Sheffield City Council don't give public libraries the priority that they deserve.

I remember a brilliant library on Barnsley road in what is now the Joblot building(:gag:).

Purely as sources of information and reference they have been rendered obsolete by the internet

That's quite a shallow observation. We live in a world where we presume that every question can be answered by google, and it's not true. There is still a place for books, and thus still a place for libraries.

Archived