Are Libraries Still Required?

I spent a lot of time in the library when i was homeless,,First in when the doors opened,,Last out. Got sick of people waking me up,,Bumping into my hammock between romance and the unexplained,,

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 17:17 ----------

Some ghost never let me finish,, Met a woman between romance and the unexplained,,She brought me a sandwich in bless her,,Jumped out me hammock to thank her.....Disapeared into thin air never seen her again,,The librarian sue always woke me up"" will you fill this questionnaire in please,,Only take an hour,,Sally army ot me a flat,, I left a few pair of socks and y.fronts on the radiators,,Young upstart Bear Grylis got the hammock..

I must admit at this point that I don't think Sheffield's libraries stack up that well against the library facilities I've come across elsewhere in the country. I may be ever so slightly of the opinion that Sheffield City Council don't give public libraries the priority that they deserve.

though they have changed it there was one time, when the actual main Sheffield Central Library on Surrey Street was closed all day on Thursdays. And this is before the financial crisis came up. I think this was about 2005 or 2006.

this got noticed right around the country I think. They probably got a right ribbing for that, and much chortling all round about how useless they were, that the main branch of the library service of the 4th or 5th largest city in the country couldn't even be bothered to open up on one day of the week. Probably embarrassed, they climbed down. I think Sheffield Central Library now does, bother to open its open its doors 6 days a week.

Yes we do need libraries. I borrow a couple of books monthly. I also purchase books I cannot get in the library and then donate them to the library when I have read them. Ecclesall library is always busy. People on the computers. Toddler story times, coffee mornings, students doing homework etc. I have put my name forward as a volunteer should it be on the hit list for closure because it would be a great loss to the community if it closed

Libraries are good for resources.. however our local library the one in Rotherham has given most of their books away making it now less resourceful there were many books and information on most subjects previously and I find since the library has moved there arent as many books/resources.

get back the books we need the resources Rotherham

Attention book worms, does anyone still use libraries and do they still serve a purpose?

I live around the corner from the one at Crystal Peaks and use it often for printing and photo copying.

I do not know what I would do without it, it is a vital resource.

I have always liked the way that small companies use the centre for meeting points, like job clubs, arts classes etc...

I was wondering with the internet nowadays whether people have time or are even bothered to visit the library and do things.

i use the central library, i head straight over to the best sellers bit that you can only borrow for a week. found some great new authors that way.

Latest news is that 15 are for the chop. Are they worth saving in today's financial climate?

Where do they come on the scale of things in relation to other council services?

Its not just Sheffield, but many councils up and down the country are closing them. Any ideas how to save them?

Report here-

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/up-to-15-libraries-in-sheffield-face-the-axe-1-6055959

Fifteen libraries in Sheffield face the axe unless community groups and other organisations are willing to take them over.

Sheffield Council has revealed its hit list of community libraries facing closure due to budget cuts.

Out of 26 sites, just 11 are guaranteed to stay open – Chapeltown, Crystal Peaks, Darnall, Ecclesall, Firth Park, Highfield, Hillsborough, Manor, Parson Cross, Stocksbridge and Woodseats.

The other 15 sites - Broomhill, Burngreave, Ecclesfield, Frecheville, Gleadless, Greenhill, Jordanthorpe, Newfield Green, Park, Southey, Stannington, Totley, Upperthorpe, Walkley and Woodhouse - could all close, with the loss of 75 jobs.

A simplistic answer to your question would be for people to use them but the fact is that we don't. The last time I visited a public library must be more than 30 years ago. I gather they are more than a place to get books now but I can't think of a reason to use one.

Archived