Job centre staff attending interviews.

dvp82

So on Monday of this week we had 2 lads turn up at my place of work in the city centre for interviews, these 2 lads clearly not dress appropriately for a job interview ( I would never turn up for a job interview in jeans, t-shirt and trainers no matter what job I was going for ) were accompanied with a member of staff from the job centre, which I though was a little odd. Then again I've never had any dealings with the job centre when looking for employment.

Anyway these 2 lads turn up today for their first day. 1 is working in the post room and the other is helping a guy who is our handyman around the place. These are actually 2 positions we have recently advertised with the job centre.

My gut feeling is these 2 new starters, who from first impression don't look all too keen on doing a honest hard days work between them are on some sort of job centre work scheme for the long term unemployed.

Basically the company I work for, which is a large private sector business have gone down the route of getting some cheap government funded labour.

Basically the company I work for, which is a large private sector business have gone done the route of getting some cheap government funded labour.

Or they are helping the long term unemployed back into work in an environment that rare gives these people the opportunity to move back into the working population. They may be cheap to employ, but there is the added chance all the efforts will be for nothing if they stop wanting to work.

But do you have any evidence these two are working as "cheap government funded labour"?

Perhaps they are the only sort of clothes they've got to wear? If you've been out of work for a longish amount of time, or never worked, are you likely to have a suit and shirt available?

I think the JC used to run a scheme where you could borrow 'interview' clothes?

You can buy a suit for £29 in Primark...

But why should he? That's a week or more eating if you are on JSA.

We've had people phone up and ask apologetically if they can come in without a suit. We are quite happy, if we take them on and they need clothing to be presentable we sub them a clothing voucher and take it back off their first three months wages.

But why should he? That's a week or more eating if you are on JSA.

We've had people phone up and ask apologetically if they can come in without a suit. We are quite happy, if we take them on and they need clothing to be presentable we sub them a clothing voucher and take it back off their first three months wages.

I bet they have iphones and other gadgets, not to mention expensive trainers, nights out, smoking etc. Priorities are messed up. A suit is an absolute necessity for looking for work.

I bet they have iphones and other gadgets, not to mention expensive trainers, nights out, smoking etc. Priorities are messed up. A suit is an absolute necessity for looking for work.

Well thats just you guessing that they have those things isn't it??

Surely there are decent people out there looking for jobs, so why give them to two layabouts who think it's ok to show up for a job interview in jeans and trainers?

Surely its better to get 2 people who are long-term unemployed back into work, if these 'decent people' keep looking im sure they will find something.

Archived