Kent Crashes on A249

Dozens of people have been injured as 130 vehicles were involved in a series of crashes in thick fog on the A249 Sheppey crossing in Kent.

Eight of those hurt in the collisions, at about 07:15 BST, are thought to have serious injuries.

Early reports said 200 people had been hurt, but police later revised the figure.

Aerial footage shows the aftermath of the collisions, which happened in thick fog.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sheppey-crossing-crash-kent-pileup--involving-up-to-100-vehicles--leaves-more-than-200-hurt-8799266.html

That is a lot of vehicles, I sure hope nobody has died, these roads are death traps.

The weather report said 15 meters of visibility on fog. I suspect people were driving too fast....

Probably the cause, but the matrix boards should have showed the problem. However, I've known occasions where they've not been working in such conditions

Probably the cause, but the matrix boards should have showed the problem. However, I've known occasions where they've not been working in such conditions

If you have a thick wall of sudden fog I'll bet they didn't realise what they were driving into.

Also it's not a motorway so maybe there were no matrix boards there, in the usual fashion.

Roads aren't death traps.

Fog doesn't kill, injure or damage too much on its own.

Drivers prove themselves to be deficient in all sorts of ways. Most of the time their deficiencies don't have negative consequences.

Sometimes they get bitten as a result of these deficiencies and call it an "accident".

I saw rather a lot of deficient drivers this morning in very thick fog this morning on the A17, Lincolnshire.

Far too many of them apparently hadn't considered putting their headlights on.

An amazing number seemed confident that they could be seen with just candle-strength side-lights.

Thick fog, thick drivers?

Archived