The parkrun thread

Flanker7

Interesting comments on the Hallam facebook page.

Personally I always think do 1 or 2 walkers move or everyone on the parkrun. I know what I would do without a moments pause.

It's no excuse for bad behaviour by parkrunners but I have seen, more than once, other park users deliberately be obstructive and well deserving of a pithy comment or two!

I think it has got to the stage where you need to close the park. You cannot share paths when there are 300-500 runners. It is just not safe.

There should be a very public notice which says that between 9 - 10am park run takes place and walkers use the paths at their own risk. The cafe could help out by offering special deals for this hour to keep walkers happy.

You can't close the park, that would go against everything that Parkrun stands for - inclusivity, part of the community etc. Personally, I've done Hallam on only a couple of occasions. The first there was 550+ running. Someone went base over apex over a bench, and saw two 'older' people berating young kids for not running hard enough, both of which ended in the youngsters in tears. That put me off a regular visit. Not quite sure how it can be managed any better tbh - but 500+ is a huge number for any park run.

I hope it keeps going, but may need a rethink in some respects, and that's really not meant as a criticism of any individuals either.

You can't close the park, that would go against everything that Parkrun stands for - inclusivity, part of the community etc. Personally, I've done Hallam on only a couple of occasions. The first there was 550+ running. Someone went base over apex over a bench, and saw two 'older' people berating young kids for not running hard enough, both of which ended in the youngsters in tears. That put me off a regular visit. Not quite sure how it can be managed any better tbh - but 500+ is a huge number for any park run.

I hope it keeps going, but may need a rethink in some respects, and that's really not meant as a criticism of any individuals either.

Amongst other things, I don't like the pushy parent types there either. No need. It's too far for little ones unless they train properly. Sheffield needs a junior parkrun like Barnsley , Hudds, and Leeds.

Amongst other things, I don't like the pushy parent types there either. No need. It's too far for little ones unless they train properly. Sheffield needs a junior parkrun like Barnsley , Hudds, and Leeds.

The cross country races for kids across Sheffield are 2km max - I cannot understand a parent who puts any kids under the age of 12 into a 5km run.

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 20:00 ----------

Not quite sure how it can be managed any better tbh - but 500+ is a huge number for any park run.

I think the timing aspect has got a bit out of hand.

I know the excitement is getting a time, and Park Run keeping a record of it, but can't people do that themselves.

Get a good watch and learn to keep records of times.

The times go on Power of 10, which I find a bit baffling as Park Run is not meant to be a race but a community run.

Of the 3K it costs to set up a Park Run, surely the bulk of this is down to the equipment.

Personally I stopped doing Graves after I saw someone twang into a dog muck bin and hit the deck. To be honest, I am not that hard up for a time anymore so stick to local.

I saw parents shouting at kids every time I went. (Cos we are all coaches aren't we...) In other circles it would be cruelty and abuse.

Agree with go4it - no reason kids under 12 need to do 5k - There are millions of this they could do instead.

The cross country races for kids across Sheffield are 2km max - I cannot understand a parent who puts any kids under the age of 12 into a 5km run.

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 20:00 ----------

I think the timing aspect has got a bit out of hand.

I know the excitement is getting a time, and Park Run keeping a record of it, but can't people do that themselves.

Get a good watch and learn to keep records of times.

The times go on Power of 10, which I find a bit baffling as Park Run is not meant to be a race but a community run.

Of the 3K it costs to set up a Park Run, surely the bulk of this is down to the equipment.

My daughter (10 year old now, 9 when she started) asked me if she could do it. She now does it occasionally (approx. once every 3 weeks or so, on average). She wakes up on Saturday morning, and if she fancies it I take her, and if she doesn't, she has a bit of a lie in. I certainly wouldn't push her into doing it, but if she wants to, then I don't see a problem. She prefers the school cross country competitions, when they are on, though, because she does it with her friends.

My daughter (10 year old now, 9 when she started) asked me if she could do it. She now does it occasionally (approx. once every 3 weeks or so, on average). She wakes up on Saturday morning, and if she fancies it I take her, and if she doesn't, she has a bit of a lie in. I certainly wouldn't push her into doing it, but if she wants to, then I don't see a problem. She prefers the school cross country competitions, when they are on, though, because she does it with her friends.

10 is very very young to be doing 5km. At that age kids should focus on form and speed over short distances.

UK Athletics have very strict rules about kids and distance. Kids can't sprint 400m until they are 13+, and a 10 year old would not run further than 600-800m on the track. Park Run is not connected to UK Athletics so kids can run.

Ultimately if both parent and child are happy then fine. But running should be progressive, you can't run a good 5km without running a good 2km.