Sewer Smell when running bathroom tap

Periodically when we run our upstairs bathroom tap we get an awful drain / eggy smell in our hallway. It is only when the sink is used and not the toilet, bath, downstairs sink or anything else.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause and possibly what we can try to remedy. I have poured bleach through the pipe which subsides the issue for a few days then its back with a vengeance.

bleach is the right thing to use to neutralise the sulfur but if there is loads of hair trapped down there it will come back. Maybe you have lots of gunk in a ubend that needs to be removed? Make sure you use thick bleach not thin liquid bleach-then maybe plughole unblocker type thing?

Periodically when we run our upstairs bathroom tap we get an awful drain / eggy smell in our hallway. It is only when the sink is used and not the toilet, bath, downstairs sink or anything else.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause and possibly what we can try to remedy. I have poured bleach through the pipe which subsides the issue for a few days then its back with a vengeance.

Does the water run-off normally, or does it just sit there gurgling in the sink?

I am the only man in a house full of females. :shocked: and they all have long hair.

About every three months I have to unblock the plughole on the bath as it gets full of soap scum and hair. I use a flexible wire with a hook on the end. By the time I get it out it looks like a 2ft long eel made of hair.

If I didn't do it the bath would just block up as they won't do it to save their lives.

Apparently its my own fault that I have to do it as it is all part of the "patriarchy."

Women being oppressed before any of us were born means they cant do it, even though I have tried to show them how on numerous occasions. :roll:

First, before taking the trap off, I would get a long handled plunger (the long handle type prevents having to bend as far over if you were plunging a bath). These long ones also help you to get more “purchase” on the plunging action.

I do all mine-kitchen sink, bath and wash basin. At first there is the black stuff that comes up out of the pipe that can then be easily picked up with either kitchen roll or an old cloth. I do mine periodically and it prevents any problems. Make sure you have enough water in the wash basin prior to plunging as it is the force of plunging this water that dislodges the decaying hair etc.

If you do need to remove the trap, do be aware that you may need to replace the trap sealing rings, which is very easy to do. Not every plumbing shop stocks them, but tool station does-I just checked the catalogue and there are two different sizes available, 32mm and 38mm. They are 78p for a pack of two, so a bit cheaper than calling the plumber out.

does the bathroom empty into a hopper, or straight into the soil stack?

many older houses drain bathwater into the downpipe, if yours is like that, check the hopper for a blockage, and the gully below if it doesn't go straight into a drain.

Archived