Jaunty angle, or straight?

Ornaments, I mean! for instance, on our oval dining table is a large square dish. On a coffee table is a small square dish. For nic-nacs etc. Wifey insists on having them at an angle on the tables, I always put them straight. Ornaments on the sideboard: again, all at an angle, until I adjust them!

Have I got a problem?

Can I ask how old you are?

I was having a discussion with my Grandma the other day about ornaments. I think they won't exist in 20 years. My generation (20s/30s) don't have them, and the generations that do (50+) will steadily die out.

My Grandma said she thought that there'd always be people that want ornaments.

I say our generation's version of 'ornaments' would be something brought back from a trip to South/East/South East Asia, but never the traditional British ornament.

What will happen to all the hard-working British ornament makers?!

Can I ask how old you are?

I was having a discussion with my Grandma the other day about ornaments. I think they won't exist in 20 years. My generation (20s/30s) don't have them, and the generations that do (50+) will steadily die out.

My Grandma said she thought that there'd always be people that want ornaments.

I say our generation's version of 'ornaments' would be something brought back from a trip to South/East/South East Asia, but never the traditional British ornament.

What will happen to all the hard-working British ornament makers?!

Are vases classed as ornaments? Or are we just talking china ladies and donkeys etc?

I predict that vases will live on, where as all other ornaments will become extinct as the older generation sadly move on to pastures new.

Are vases classed as ornaments? Or are we just talking china ladies and donkeys etc?

I predict that vases will live on, where as all other ornaments will become extinct as the older generation sadly move on to pastures new.

That's a good point. I can't ever imagine vases would die out. Perhaps some types of ornaments can live forever.

I suppose a vase does have a practical use, so this has an immediate advantage over ladies and donkeys that just serve an aesthetic (to some people) purpose.

That's a good point. I can't ever imagine vases would die out. Perhaps some types of ornaments can live forever.

I suppose a vase does have a practical use, so this has an immediate advantage over ladies and donkeys that just serve an aesthetic (to some people) purpose.

Maybe that's the key (Manufacturers of chintz listen up!) ornaments that serve a purpose will outlive ornaments that don't!

With regards to the original post (as I got lost in thought a bit there!), always straight. I like things to be symmetrical and straight :)

Ornaments, I mean! for instance, on our oval dining table is a large square dish. On a coffee table is a small square dish. For nic-nacs etc. Wifey insists on having them at an angle on the tables, I always put them straight. Ornaments on the sideboard: again, all at an angle, until I adjust them!

Have I got a problem?

Just sounds like OCD to me ... nothing wrong with that, just a minor mental illness. The problem could easily be solved by changing the square dish for a round one ... win, win situation and no need for expensive (and time-consuming) psychotherapy!

Everyone has minor mental health issues, myself included.

Personally, I have a (very small) irrational pathological fear of square objects. Their corners stare at me in the sort of menacing way that only ninety degrees can ... they scream at me in high pitched voices, telling me to drink vinegar and battery-acid whilst hiding in my privet hedge! They invade my sleep by climbing up my nostrils ... sometimes splitting into two right-angled triangles, and, using their hypotenuses, try to stem blood-flow to my hypothalamus and visual cortex! :gag:

As such, I always 'cut corners' wherever possible ... I round off the corners of books with scissors (or nail-clippers if it's a Ladybird), I eschew modern technology in so far as I watch televisual delights on an old black and white cathode ray set (round) and, using a lump hammer and panel-beating skills, have rounded off the edges of my Nokia Lumia (which for some reason ... probably instigated by the evil squares, has stopped working very well).

As you can see, just very minor neurological imbalances, but easily controlled. :suspect::suspect:

Archived