Should teachers go on strike?

But most teachers are passionate about the subject they teach, and have an ability and desire to communicate it to others. It's a vocation.

About 6 years ago when I was considering teaching there was a shortage of teachers in the subject that I'm qualified in and an attractive bursary to tempt people like me in the profession. I understand the same situation still applies.....

I don't disagree, but there are also teachers that aren't passionate about what they teach and just do teach because the pay and conditions are better than they could get elsewhere.

I don't disagree, but there are also teachers that aren't passionate about what they teach and just do teach because the pay and conditions are better than they could get elsewhere.

Hahahahahahaha.

Personally I love my vocation and I feel that I do make a significant difference to the lives of many of the young people that I teach. Many of them have very little support from home. The most important things I teach are not measurable. That said, the conditions and pension that I was led to believe I would have have been continually tampered with. Gove is clearly clueless as we are seeing time and time again. For example, his 'get soldiers into the classroom' initiative has been snubbed by our heroes!

Picture the scenario: you are working at your job, which you've held for several years, when you receive notification that the Government plans to shrink your pension scheme, put back retirement age, and reduce your capacity to earn more in future. Do you do nothing, or fight to protect what you have? Only a fool would consider the former, yet teachers are berated for doing what anyone else would in the same situation.

Are the teachers and their sympathisers aware we're in a period of austerity currently, and it's likely to last a fair while yet? Fire Stations are having to make savage cuts (yesterday I heard on the radio in Derbyshire they could be losing around a quarter of their firefighters). The NHS is constantly underfunded and cutting back, and most people over the last few years in a range of jobs have had to face reduced or frozen wages, reduced hours, redundancy and the like.

This kind of strike action may have been all the rage in the 70s, but when it affects so many other people who are working because they now have to find alternative cover for their children at short notice, it's not going to garner much support outside the usual suspects who love a good strike.

As others have said, parents are threatened with fines for taking their children out of school in term time... so as the teachers are deliberately choosing to deny the kids in their class the option to goto school today, those teachers should be made to pay that same fine for each kid that they would otherwise have been teaching... They could've had their demonstrations at Town Halls during the summer holidays or weekends, and might've then received more sympathy as they'd not be deliberately targeting the kids and sabotaging their education.

At least some teachers care more about their children and are in work today, and choosing not to use them as a political pawn for their own ends - well done to those teachers :)

As for reducing capacity to earn, the best teachers will still make progress to the higher levels and if money is their goal (rather than doing the best for the kids), they can go to a private school.

Hahahahahahaha.

Personally I love my vocation and I feel that I do make a significant difference to the lives of many of the young people that I teach. Many of them have very little support from home. The most important things I teach are not measurable. That said, the conditions and pension that I was led to believe I would have have been continually tampered with. Gove is clearly clueless as we are seeing time and time again. For example, his 'get soldiers into the classroom' initiative has been snubbed by our heroes!

And you don't think this happens to everyone?

You are not a special case everyone pensions have been tampered with over the years, many people from many professions won't get what they expected.

Thats life I'm afraid.

Still 1,800 a month (based on starting salary)

What every parent now needs to do is send in invoices, detailing a fine and the cost of child-care for every day the school's strike.

Play them at their own game. If you took your child out of school in term time, they'd now fine you for it. Now they're effectively taking your child out of school during term time.

So you now believe that teachers and the rest of the general public can fine one another. Hilarious. I now understand why you in particular have a gripe with teachers.

Teachers are not paid for the holidays they are salaried which means that the pay they receive for the weeks they do work is paid in twelve monthly instalments.

So if teachers don't get paid for holidays.Why do they bother doing any school work through them?

I wouldn't work for nowt.

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 10:07 ----------

Usual ill informed SF teacher bashers, sure it's time for a separate section for all the haters.

educate yourselves

Poor teachers! Having to carry heavy boxes and books around the classes..Haha!

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 10:11 ----------

So basically, teachers need to forgo their democratic right to strike in order to avoid disruption to peoples' childcare arrangements. I see, it all makes sense now!

Try telling that to my partner who could not get child care and has had to take a precious days holiday off.

So basically, teachers need to forgo their democratic right to strike in order to avoid disruption to peoples' childcare arrangements. I see, it all makes sense now!

No but they are complaining about pointless things like performance related pay and having to retire later.

I'm on performance related pay so is most people what is the problem?

Archived