Should teachers go on strike?

How much of the teachers "pension pot" is put there by the teachers themselves, and how much is put there by the taxpayer? Not that there's any difference in the long run, we all pay for all of it one way or another.

8.2% Employees Contribution.

14.1% Employers Contribution.

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 15:28 ----------

Wrong, the fireman went on strike so that they didn't have to do this at 60.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

How does his pay compare to a self employed teacher/private tutor?

Teachers in private education get roughly the same pay. They do get an extra 2 weeks holiday but also may be requested to work Saturday mornings. (no different from running DofE, trips in schools holidays or sporting teams)

I have done private tutoring in the past, I charged £24-£28 a hour for A level. The problem with private tutoring is as schools offer it for free, it would be pretty hard to compete on a full time basis. I worked out a teacher in a secondary school roughly gets paid £15 a hour for the hours they work. People will not pay for a private tutor when they get support, revision sessions and Easter schools to support the lessons when it is all free at school and now an expected part of the role of teacher.

My father works bloody hard for his money, as do most teachers :) I was just making the point that teachers pay is not amazing for the hours worked and just like most trades they work very hard for the money.

Anyone actually do a job that is more demanding than teaching and care to compare an average day?

I work in Special Education. I do not work long hours. I get a lot of holidays although I feel that I need them to recuperate. Over the past 5 years I have been spat at, punched, head-butted, kicked but I return each day to give each young person a clean slate. Usually their parents cannot cope but I (almost always) do. I trained for 4 years in University to qualify and am now in my 21st year of a job that I love but this Government constantly undermine us at every opportunity.

A splendid show by all today in Town. Well done. Good with outstanding features.

Spat at, punched,head butted,kicked, then next day give em a clean slate, they need a good hiding, the stick or the slipper or even the strap, this is the reason why kids of today are so cheeky and have no respect for anybody, we used to get respect knocked into us. Both parents and teachers are responsible for today's hooligans.

Spat at, punched,head butted,kicked, then next day give em a clean slate, they need a good hiding, the stick or the slipper or even the strap, this is the reason why kids of today are so cheeky and have no respect for anybody, we used to get respect knocked into us. Both parents and teachers are responsible for today's hooligans.

I don't think you can blame teachers for the fact that their hands are tied when it comes to discipline.

So thats 22.3% tax payers contribution and 100% tax payers contribution towards your pay.

The alternative is that you privatise education and make it compulsory that parents pay by having an education tax, that is then paid to the private companies and profit can then be made :)

I don't think you can blame teachers for the fact that their hands are tied when it comes to discipline.

What do they do then? just let kids run a mock and do as they like at school, oh! sorry they already do. so now you have passed the buck, who should deal with the discipline side of things.

Presumably it won't have as much impact

Impact on who?

Today's strike won't impact on those they are aggrieved with. It only impacts on parents.

So does that mean that today's strike is a petulant dummy spitting exercise aimed to coincide with a party conference that will only affect those tax payers who keep teachers in a job anyway?

What do they do then? just let kids run a mock and do as they like at school, oh! sorry they already do. so now you have passed the buck, who should deal with the discipline side of things.

I think the clock needs winding back about 30 years when it comes to disciplining kids, my guess is many teachers will agree, but it isn't theirs or my decision to make.

Archived