Should teachers go on strike?

Don't know who is right but there were loads of kids walking round town and meadowhall today.

I suspect they were just the minority of kids, most will have been at home studying. :)

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 18:15 ----------

Parents SHOULD educate their children but far too many don't, see it as the school's job. Then when their kids turn out to be unemployable wastrels they blame the schools, the government, "society", anyone but themselves.

My kids would have got no where in life if I had left it to the school.

Then you must be desperately naive.

Many parents do almost nothing to support their children's education bar send them there in the first place.

I say this from a position of knowledge rather than assumption.

I have extensive experience in education myself, have many friends in the profession and am married to a teacher.

=the reason why some schools 'appear' to be so much better than others despite being staffed with teachers of similar abilities :rolleyes:

Parents SHOULD educate their children but far too many don't, see it as the school's job. Then when their kids turn out to be unemployable wastrels they blame the schools, the government, "society", anyone but themselves.

I think you have unwittingly advanced a case for the closure of schools.I think it unreasonable to expect parents to teach children much apart from basics such as good conduct and simple tasks like reading and number work.Did your parents teach you on an exclusive basis?

Perhaps instead of striking teachers should find another way of demonstrating their anger that doesn't punish schoolkids. Perhaps they could do something like refusing to work beyond 3.30 each day.

Oh hang on, no-one would notice would they?

Perhaps instead of striking teachers should find another way of demonstrating their anger that doesn't punish schoolkids. Perhaps they could do something like refusing to work beyond 3.30 each day.

That's already been done:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9915878/Work-to-rule-teachers-may-be-breaking-their-contracts.html

But doesn't work as that also punishes students in after school clubs.

Archived