Should teachers go on strike?

Is it really that difficult to work out? Whilst it is not a baby sitting institution you will have to forgive parents for having the expectation that their children will be in school thus allowing them to go out to work. If the kids are off due to strike action then one of the parents will have to use up a day's holiday.

jb

Why does so many parents go ballistic when teachers strike or their children are off school. School is not a baby sitting institution :rant:

Nothing to do with holidays at all then...

It's not baby sitting, it's educating children whilst parents go to work. Neither of which can happen if there's a strike, hardly surprising that it annoys people is it!

Some schools stay open till 8pm to 'help' working parents:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9340191/Schools-could-open-until-8pm-to-help-working-parents-with-child-care.html - Not that I'm in favour of it, I hated school. I would've hated being made to spend even more time there

Always lived on my salary when we started a family ,when the children grew up then my wife went back to work

In an ideal world that would be great. Nowadays though most families rely on 2 wages coming in.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 12:22 ----------

Its funny how teachers never strike during half term holidays.

They claim to work "all year round", so why don't strikes coincide with holidays?

Good point alchresearch!

Not going to happen is it though?

In an ideal world that would be great. Nowadays though most families rely on 2 wages coming in.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 12:22 ----------

Good point alchresearch!

Not going to happen is it though?

I don't think it's a very good point at all. Yes, teachers do work in the holidays but for a strike to be effective, it needs to cause disruption, otherwise it would be ignored.

That's the theory apparently.

Its funny how teachers never strike during half term holidays.

They claim to work "all year round", so why don't strikes coincide with holidays?

I think you might be missing the point of a strike.

A Santas strike in July would have limited effect.

Archived