Should teachers go on strike?

I don't think it's a very good point at all. Yes, teachers do work in the holidays but for a strike to be effective, it needs to cause disruption, otherwise it would be ignored.

That's the theory apparently.

By causing misery amongst the general public surely alienates them even more.

By causing misery amongst the general public surely alienates them even more.

I do not think the general public are upset but some parents may be inconvenienced.Are the general public already alienated?Most intelligent people will attribute their success to effective teaching,although less successful citizens may harbour resentment.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 11:40 ----------

Its funny how teachers never strike during half term holidays.

They claim to work "all year round", so why don't strikes coincide with holidays?

It is probably for the same reason people do not attend football stadiums when no match is planned-I thought it would be rather obvious.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 11:41 ----------

They claim to work "all year round", so why don't strikes coincide with holidays?

It is probably for the same reason people do not attend football stadiums when no match is planned-I thought it would be rather obvious.

I don't think it's a very good point at all. Yes, teachers do work in the holidays but for a strike to be effective, it needs to cause disruption, otherwise it would be ignored.

That's the theory apparently.

Disruption to who.. is it targeted or will anybody do?

Always lived on my salary when we started a family ,when the children grew up then my wife went back to work

Does that mean that everyone should do the same as you then? You do realise that the world has changed in the last 30 years right?

I do not think the general public are upset but some parents may be inconvenienced.Are the general public already alienated?Most intelligent people will attribute their success to effective teaching,although less successful citizens may harbour resentment.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 11:40 ----------

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 11:41 ----------

The general public do get upset at the cost and inconvenience caused by striking teachers.

Most intelligent people would be peed off.

Less successful citizens may harbour resentment?? Stop being a snob!

Disruption to who.. is it targeted or will anybody do?

If you support the idea that any group of workers have the right to take industrial action by withdrawing their labour, then you must realise that this means teachers will inconvenience parents and children. That's the nature of them taking industrial action.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 13:38 ----------

Ho ho, sure they do! :)

Are you retraining to be a teacher then, since they have it so cushy.

If you support the idea that any group of workers have the right to take industrial action by withdrawing their labour, then you must realise that this means teachers will inconvenience parents and children. That's the nature of them taking industrial action

Usually, when people strike, there is a financial penalty for their employers eg lost productivity (that has a cash value on it)..I'm not sure upsetting a few parents for a day will have the government (whichever one is in at the time) worrying about lost income...it may lose the teachers public support..who knows..?

Archived