Where's the Moon gone?

Ok ... picture the scene ... Tuesday, September 3rd ... my birthday.

Girlfriend gives me a Newtonian reflector telescope, complete with EQ2 Equatorial mounting, tripod, Barlow, 25 and 10mm eyepieces and red dot finder.

This is suitable for looking at the Moon ... I excitedly set it up (when it went dark) to view said object.

WHERE IS THE MOON!? :gag::o ... it's nowhere in space or anywhere else for that matter!

Honestly, Tuesday and Wednesday night the sky was clear(ish) ... but even without the telescopular device, it was pretty damned easy to see (even to the untrained eye) the Moon was absolutely nowhere wheresoever. Girlfriend now thinks I'm stupid!

Is this common? I thought you'd always be able to see it ... where does it go? :huh:

Also, are there any places I can contact in this area to find out more about stargazing? In particular, I'd like to know where Mars, Saturn and Venus are for starters (once I've figured out how to use the calibrations on the mounting). Ta.

Windows 32bit or 64? :huh:

Click your start button, hover over "computer", right click on it and select "Properties". It will tell you there. :)

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 15:26 ----------

Or if Win8 go to the right of your screen, when the charms bar shows click settings, then select "Pc info". :)

Ok ... picture the scene ... Tuesday, September 3rd ... my birthday.

Girlfriend gives me a Newtonian reflector telescope, complete with EQ2 Equatorial mounting, tripod, Barlow, 25 and 10mm eyepieces and red dot finder.

This is suitable for looking at the Moon ... I excitedly set it up (when it went dark) to view said object.

WHERE IS THE MOON!? :gag::o ... it's nowhere in space or anywhere else for that matter!

Honestly, Tuesday and Wednesday night the sky was clear(ish) ... but even without the telescopular device, it was pretty damned easy to see (even to the untrained eye) the Moon was absolutely nowhere wheresoever. Girlfriend now thinks I'm stupid!

Is this common? I thought you'd always be able to see it ... where does it go? :huh:

Also, are there any places I can contact in this area to find out more about stargazing? In particular, I'd like to know where Mars, Saturn and Venus are for starters (once I've figured out how to use the calibrations on the mounting). Ta.

Girlfriend WILL be pleased:hihi:

Archived