920,000 pensioners still in work-good, or morally wrong?

Janus

Yes. I`m still waiting for the mods to rectify the error as requestecd. It`s only possible to edit the body of a message not the title (unless I`m not doing it right)

Mods don't see every thread, hence the need to use the report button. I spotted it by chance, so its changed now.

Its apparently its about 10% that are still in work, so that's 920,000. I thought the OP's figure looked a little high.

It seem the OP has now dropped that to 92000. I wish they would make up their minds and get their facts right. There are more than 60000 folk over 65 who run their own businesses.

Most people would report such a rude outburst. I however am happy on this occasion to put it down to your "time of the month". I'm pretty forgiving like that. Now, skinz, back to the thread topic please.

Skinz, step away from the internet. :hihi:

Way to go Arrr.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

WOW. Looks like I've annoyed you, sorry about that, I was just trying to make the point that when its busy and you want to get on and two old lady's are in total la la land. It's damn annoying.
Whats really annoying is some jackass who comes on here for a month and throws his weight around at older people. I'm over 80, I still ride a bike over 50 miles a week, I'm a retired computer engineer who still does consultant work for the Paper Industry, and drives over 15,000 miles a year, usually outdriving teenage idiots in their fartboxes with their texting.:rant:

(Source: BBC news ref 2011 census).

I’m a believer in “use it or lose it”. It is well documented that simply retiring and doing very little (with mind & body) can predispose people to premature aging and dementia.

Is it a good thing that people of age 65 and above are still going out to work? Paying national insurance, contributing to the tax pot and the economy in general, and lessening the risk of ending up in a care home, whereby fees are often paid for by the state? Or, is the fact that they are choosing to go on working (while often being eligible for a state pension plus tax credits and housing benefits) detrimental to the young end of society who desperately want to work and cannot find a job?

Do older people in England go on working after 65 because they have to?

How far does the standard UK pension go these days in being able to manage?

The standard Social Security monthly benefit in the US is hardly enough to live on for a single retired person.

There are a lot of us smarter ones who built up retirement nest eggs long before we reached 65 and thankfully dont have to rely on what the government doles out Having paid into Soc Sec for years I still take it anyway as is my right

Much of the work that those elderly here do wouldn't be looked at by the younger people unless making 9 dollars an hour in Walmart is considered something worthwhile

Whats really annoying is some jackass who comes on here for a month and throws his weight around at older people. I'm over 80, I still ride a bike over 50 miles a week, I'm a retired computer engineer who still does consultant work for the Paper Industry, and drives over 15,000 miles a year, usually outdriving teenage idiots in their fartboxes with their texting.:rant:

I was not talking about driving. Why do old people think any reference to their slowness automatically is a reference to their driving. It's not. The thing that sometimes gets up my nose about the older generation is their sometimes lack of awareness and sometimes ingnorance. E.g Stopping and having a chat in inappropriate places such as shop doorways or on narrow streets, Talking to the cashier about their grandkids when a massive que is developing behind them and the worst offence of all. Interrupting you in the middle of sentence. Literally in the middle of sentence.

Noticing whatsoever to do with driving. Everything to do with manners and the buzz word amoungest the older one's. Respect.

I was not talking about driving. Why do old people think any reference to their slowness automatically is a reference to their driving. It's not. The thing that sometimes gets up my nose about the older generation is their sometimes lack of awareness and sometimes ingnorance. E.g Stopping and having a chat in inappropriate places such as shop doorways or on narrow streets, Talking to the cashier about their grandkids when a massive que is developing behind them and the worst offence of all. Interrupting you in the middle of sentence. Literally in the middle of sentence.

Noticing whatsoever to do with driving. Everything to do with manners and the buzz word amoungest the older one's. Respect.

I would argue that manners and common courtesy failed to reach many in the younger generation.

On a visit to London I offered my seat to a lady while traveling on the Tube. She looked at me as if I were some specis from outer space and refused.

Well that's what us guys did back in the 1960s on the Tube or on buses. That was before the womens lib came into being and accepting a seat from a man was definitely the tell tale sign of feminine weakness.

Society has changed alright and it's not the fault of the older people. They still have the habits of living in more leisurely times before everyone started to rush around like chickens without heads trying to do in 5 hours what used to take 10

These incidences occur whatever the age.

Admittedly the retired may take longer to do things but they have the time to take a leisurely approach to daily life.

Talking to the cashier? Well there's probably more retired in the queue anyway. You have not mentioned bus stop queues where quite a few of the not-so-old wait at the stop with their darling kids, then dig for their purse after they get on the bus and then discuss the weather before finding their money.

Archived