George Ashforth: 1730 - 1817

shaas

For "Retrep"

You wrote: "There is a George 49 silversmith of Nursery dies 1817 buried St Peter"

How would you translate the above sentence? What is "George 49 silversmith of Nursery?

Is "49" an age?

Please advise, and many thanks, sh

George Ashforth age 49, silversmith, of Nursery,(area near Wicker Sheffield) buried 1817 St Peter, Parish Church Sheffield

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings to all -

I've been researching, of course, on George Ashforth - I never stop trying.

Found that the Ashforths were originally from West Yorkshire; George had a business on Angel Street. Is Angel Street in West Yorkshire?

Anyone know?

Please advise, and thanks. Blessings, sh

An ancestor of mine married Emily Ashforth who was the daughter of William and Charlotte (nee Revitt). Emily was born in 1842 at Stannington, Sheffield where William was a saw grinder by trade. She married Charles Oakley in 1867 at St Phillips Church, Sheffield and her address is given as Infirmary Rd. Don't know if this ties in or not but good luck.

Cheers, Jass

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Shaas.

Can I make a suggestion here. The most likely George ASHFORTH is the one described as Mr in the burial registers of St Pauls, buried 29th May 1813 (as posted by Retep.

As he was a man of means there may be a Monumental Inscription, these are indexed at Sheffield Archives.This may confirm that this is the man you are looking for.

The George ASHFORTH baptised in 1736 has a father Samuel who is a weaver by trade.

Just realised you are in Florida. I'll check this out for you...the archives are closed until 13th March.

Kind Regards

Tuppie :huh:

Tuppie - have you checked the registers for George Ashforth? How can I obtain a photo of his grave marker?

I have been relentlessly searching for several Ashforth items. I'm going to reply to another on this site - I believe you're also involved in the next quest.

Kindest regards, sh:) :smile:

Which was of course The West Riding of Yorkshire...not to be confused with West Yorkshire....:thumbsup:

Tuppie

Tuppie - here's another one of my research items.

Apparently, there is, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, a place called, "Ashforth Side".

I've contacted Kirkby Malzeard about Ashforth Side, requesting more knowledge of it - who lived there, was it farmland, etc., without success.

KM did email me back identifying that they didn't know anything about it.

I've done just about all the searches I know how to do and have come up with a blank.

Any ideas? Do you have knowledge of Ashforth Side - as it is in West Riding?

OH, I hope so.

Blessings, sh:) :) :) :)

Archived