George Ashforth: 1730 - 1817

shaas

Which was of course West Yorkshire.

RETEP - here's what I've found on "Ashforth Side":

"Supplemental information for the year 1822 about places in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, West Riding of Yorkshire, England. ... "ASHFORTH SIDE, in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, and wapentake of Claro; 3 miles from Pateley Bridge"

I believe this is in West Riding.

I'd really like to know what "Ashforth Side" was/is - and what it means.

I'm so lost. This must be where George Ashforth lived - or close by.

Any clues?

Please advise, and thanks, sh:)

• 6 months later...

Tuppie - have you checked the registers for George Ashforth? How can I obtain a photo of his grave marker?

I have been relentlessly searching for several Ashforth items. I'm going to reply to another on this site - I believe you're also involved in the next quest.

Kindest regards, sh:) :smile:

TUPPIE -

Are you still around?

I would like to know how to obtain a photo of the George Ashforth headstone as you mentioned.

Please do let me know.

Thanks ever, sh

hello Shaas,

I'm sure Tuppie isn't far away :)

But I don't think she said she had found an inscription, only that there might be one. In any case, the original memorial would no longer exist as St Paul's and its church yard have been completely cleared, apart from some very short sections of the boundary wall. The memorials were recorded before they were removed.

The site is now one of the most popular public spaces in Sheffield, the Peace Gardens. This a modern 360 degree view.

Here is an engraving of the church and part of its graveyard, from the Picture Sheffield site.

Hugh

Hi. Just another suggestion, but it could help. If you log on to http://www.b4usearch.com - you may be able to find any Ashforth's still living in Sheffield. This is a free service. If you are lucky, a telephone call or a postage stamp and time would perhaps bring you a little nearer to your goal. B4usearch is at present being updatesd to the latest electoral roll information, but do look at it as the addresses are still there under the telephone number look up. Hope I have not wasted your time. All good wishes for success in your quest. Kind regards - Nigel.

hello Shaas,

I'm sure Tuppie isn't far away :)

But I don't think she said she had found an inscription, only that there might be one. In any case, the original memorial would no longer exist as St Paul's and its church yard have been completely cleared, apart from some very short sections of the boundary wall. The memorials were recorded before they were removed.

The site is now one of the most popular public spaces in Sheffield, the Peace Gardens. This a modern 360 degree view.

Here is an engraving of the church and part of its graveyard, from the Picture Sheffield site.

Hugh

Hi Shaas.

Can I make a suggestion here. The most likely George ASHFORTH is the one described as Mr in the burial registers of St Pauls, buried 29th May 1813 (as posted by Retep.

As he was a man of means there may be a Monumental Inscription, these are indexed at Sheffield Archives.This may confirm that this is the man you are looking for.

The George ASHFORTH baptised in 1736 has a father Samuel who is a weaver by trade.

Just realised you are in Florida. I'll check this out for you...the archives are closed until 13th March.

Kind Regards

Tuppie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tuppie : 07-03-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Tuppie

View Public Profile

Send a private message to Tuppie

Find More Posts by Tuppie

Add Tuppie to Your Buddy List

How may I obtain a copy of, "The most likely George ASHFORTH is the one described as Mr in the burial registers of St Pauls, buried 29th May 1813 (as posted by Retep."

I'm lost here. I'd appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Many thanks, sh:)

Hi. Just another suggestion, but it could help. If you log on to http://www.b4usearch.com - you may be able to find any Ashforth's still living in Sheffield. This is a free service. If you are lucky, a telephone call or a postage stamp and time would perhaps bring you a little nearer to your goal. B4usearch is at present being updatesd to the latest electoral roll information, but do look at it as the addresses are still there under the telephone number look up. Hope I have not wasted your time. All good wishes for success in your quest. Kind regards - Nigel.

Thanks for your kind offering of a "new" website to me.

I have copied several of the net addresses and will continue to search with what you have suggested.

Many thanks, sh

George Ashforth age 49, silversmith, of Nursery,(area near Wicker Sheffield) buried 1817 St Peter, Parish Church Sheffield

Thanks; George Ashforth, silversmith with several hallmarks and companies, was born 1730. Couldn't be the same George Ashforth I'm researching.

Kindly, sh

How may I obtain a copy of, "The most likely George ASHFORTH is the one described as Mr in the burial registers of St Pauls, buried 29th May 1813."

If you want a copy of the original entry from the register you will have to apply to Sheffield Archives. You will find their email address on that site.

Although the LDS filmed some of the St Paul's Registers, their coverage of the burials stopped in 1812.

You could also ask the Archives if there is a recorded inscription. If they think the search will be quick they will probably do it for free, if they think it will take some time they will quote a search fee.

Hugh

Archived