George Ashforth: 1730 - 1817

shaas

Thanks, Hugh -

I do have an "IGI individual record" showing George's Christening, 06 Jul 1736 in Sheffield, Yorkshire; father, Samuel Ashforth. I believe he was baptisedat St. Peter's (would that be RC?),

Having contact Sheffield once, I received an article on George's businesses (Silversmith), but no other data. Apparently, that was all they had; and, yes, I gave them the dates.

Now, I understand that the church is St. Peter and St. Paul. Were they close together?

Why did they tear down St. Paul's?

I have no idea where George is buried, but if it was St. Paul's, I shall contact as you advised.

I do thank you.

Kind Regards, shaas

We are talking about two separate churches, both Church of England.

The Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul became Sheffield Cathedral when the Diocese of Sheffield was created in 1914. Before the 1840's Sheffield was a single big parish with this church as the main Anglican place of worship. There were a number of 'chapels of ease' within the parish, subordinate to St Peter and St Paul (often shortened to St Peter's). Because of the long distances people might have to travel to St Peter's, and its small size in relation to the population, people could use one of the Chapels closer to their homes.

St Paul's Church was built in the 18th century as one of these Chapels of Ease. Along with other Chapels of Ease (St George's, St Mary's Bramall Lane, Christ Church Attercliffe, All Saints Ecclesall, St James) St Paul's became a parish church in its own right when the old giant parish was divided in the 1840's.

St Peter's is still going strong see their web site.

Hugh

Thank you, Hugh - I feel now that I more fully understand the St. Peter and St. Paul history. Good to know.

By the 1840's, some from my side of the Ashforths had moved on to Dudley, then Birmingham, then Aston, then USA in 1883.

There were a lot of Ashforths in St. P&P from 1700's on - was it then RC?

I do know my church history concerning RC, Lutherans, Anglicans, et al; having studied Education for Ministry (Episcopal Church) for four (4) years.

So am I to understand that St. Paul's that broke off in the 1840's is now no more? Now a Peace Garden? I saw the photos of St. Paul interior on this site.

To understand this part of the St. Paul Church will enormously enhance my greater understanding of what now exists.

With kind regards, sh

Hi Shaas

I will be at the archives again next Tuesday...I did make notes before of the MI, but must have forgotten to post it....and I can't find it among my mountain of paper. Sorry about that.

Will keep you posted...give me a week Pleeeeease

Tuppie

• 1 month later...
Hi Shaas

I will be at the archives again next Tuesday...I did make notes before of the MI, but must have forgotten to post it....and I can't find it among my mountain of paper. Sorry about that.

Will keep you posted...give me a week Pleeeeease

Tuppie

HI, Tuppie -

Please do let me know when you find the info for me.

Many, many thanks, shirley haas

• 5 years later...

Dear Shirley Haas, - and fellow GA researchers!

I have been following your trail in the hunt of George Ashforth, your last entry on this site being 2 years ago!

Could we be of mutual help? I am helping a friend trace her tree with the only following message: "George Ashforth, whose daughter Mary married Samuel Revell". I have managed to find some of those descendants to present day.

I gather that George A's father was Samuel Ashforth, weaver (1698-1783) and Samuel's own father was also Samuel. I guess that the Joseph Ashforth (also silver plater/smith) who was born 1735 must have been George's younger brother...

I have George as married to Mary, and father to Ann (1782), Elizabeth (1783), Sarah (1786) George [Junior] 1788-1808 (married to Mary Heaton), MARY (1791-1870), married to Samuel Revell (1787-1870). Samuel Revell was one of George Ashforth's partners.

In view of George's older age to be a father, I guess that the above listed children with Mary must be from a second/subsequent marriage.

I have been able to reference my above information from various sources, and aim to be as documented as possible.

Fingers crossed that this message reaches you, literally 2 years to the day later!

Best wishes,

Martina

• 7 months later...
George Ashforth is a long-time-ago relative; according to my mother.

Almost all of our Ashforths in the old England were silversmiths; only George, that I know of, had Hallmarks for his companies. The others worked for silversmiths - were journeymen, etc.

I feel certain that the above "Title" dates are correct.

Does anyone know where George is buried?

Does anyone know if George married?

Edward Law has written about George on the net; that's just about all I know save for his companies which I found through search.

I'd just like to know more about his family.

Whatever is known replied to is of interest to we who were born in the 20th Century. My mother was an Ashforth.

Thanks, shaas :)

George Ashforth, silversmith, was born 1727 to a James Ashforth; he is the brother of Henry Ashforth, as well as Uncle to Henry's son George also a silversmith. He died after the 1811 bankruptcy his company had as a result of two new members of the firm who sold goods in Ireland. He died 1813, and is 1958 was reburied without marker at Abby Lane Cemetery in Consecrated ground. James Ashforth, son of Henry A., to Thomas Williams A. died 1934 in Cincinnati, Ohio; who also was a master silversmith, are all members of the same family. The Industrial Revolution ended silversmithing as they knew it. shaas

Archived