Closure of Anglers Rest Bamford. Please protest and help.

The answer to your last question would appear to be NO.

You can only get back what you put in, but you could also loose it all.

If the community run it as a pub, it's highly likely the "shareholders" will lose it all. Too many cooks with no experience of running a pub all vying for position to be heard. 10 landlords in 10 years. Yes, let me quickly fetch my change purse. As Blackadder famously said, "here is a purse of monies, which I'm not going to give to you".

So does Sheffield Forum allow the promotion of share opportunities on their site? That's interesting.

Makes you wonder why the pub closed. Maybe the locals did not support it?

Use it or lose it comes to mind.

The spectre of it turning into a few flats soon got the locals to realise they needed an extra pub!

The spectre of it turning into a few flats soon got the locals to realise they needed an extra pub!

I think the sellers are quite deluded. They believe themselves to be professional and full of integrity, you know, because agreeing a sale with a developer and then rescinding and welching on the deal are the actions of honourable men. :rolleyes:

You do realise the "community" have installed a post office counter inside the pub. Nothing like a pint whilst leafing through a books of stamps.

What if I want to buy the Anglers rest and turn into a quality Bunkhouse HMO. Do we really want to live in such an anti-capitalist world where I would have my offer to purchase refused? I know I don't. Whatever next, free pints for the shareholders? Ridiculous! :rant:

If the community run it as a pub, it's highly likely the "shareholders" will lose it all. Too many cooks with no experience of running a pub all vying for position to be heard. 10 landlords in 10 years. Yes, let me quickly fetch my change purse. As Blackadder famously said, "here is a purse of monies, which I'm not going to give to you".

So does Sheffield Forum allow the promotion of share opportunities on their site? That's interesting.

I think the sellers are quite deluded. They believe themselves to be professional and full of integrity, you know, because agreeing a sale with a developer and then rescinding and welching on the deal are the actions of honourable men. :rolleyes:

You do realise the "community" have installed a post office counter inside the pub. Nothing like a pint whilst leafing through a books of stamps.

What if I want to buy the Anglers rest and turn into a quality Bunkhouse HMO. Do we really want to live in such an anti-capitalist world where I would have my offer to purchase refused? I know I don't. Whatever next, free pints for the shareholders? Ridiculous! :rant:

That is about as far divorced from reality as it is possible to get.

The pub has been owned by a pubco for years and had become run down through lack of investment. This led to a decline in the pubs use and a series of landlords could not make the place work as a business due to high rents and lack of custom.

The pubco were in negotiation with a local group who wanted to buy the pub but for some reason accepted an offer from a third party, who it transpires wanted to keep the pub open. However when he heard that the locals wanted to run the pub themselves he agreed to back away from the deal so that the locals could have their pub. So there is no lack of integrity anywhere. All parties seem happy with the outcome.

Regarding shares. Does it not occur to you that ICI is owned by several hundred thousand shareholders. They merely own shares and don't involve themselves in the day to day running of ICI.

The pub will be owned by shareholders but run by a professional landlord for the benefit of the local community. By investing in the pub it will not only be transformed into a place where locals will go as regulars but also people from further away would come to dine and have a pint. Something that wasn't the case before.

and a series of landlords could not make the place work as a business due to high rents and lack of custom.

Not the greatest share pitch.

However when he heard that the locals wanted to run the pub themselves he agreed to back away from the deal so that the locals could have their pub. All parties seem happy with the outcome.

Yes, that's definitely how it went down. The developer was happy to walk away from a highly profitable deal because he's a thoroughly nice bloke. :hihi: #thatsDefinitelyWhatHappened

Regarding shares. Does it not occur to you that ICI is owned by several hundred thousand shareholders. They merely own shares and don't involve themselves in the day to day running of ICI.

Because the Angler's Rest is just like ICI. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's definitely how it went down. The developer was happy to walk away from a highly profitable deal because he's a thoroughly nice bloke.

Its not exactly a difficult concept to grasp. The landlord at the Royal Oak in Millthorpe closed the pub and applied for permission to convert it into a residential property for himself. The locals were up in arms and it wasn't perhaps the ideal place to retire amid local hostility particularly as permission for change of use was repeatedly turned down, and some rooms could not be used. After a couple of years he sold the pub to a local group and it reopened. He lives in a very nice cottage close by and is back in the good books.

There was no developer at the Anglers Rest. The person who was wanting to buy it wanted to run it as a pub. But of course that wouldn't have stopped it closing a year down the line and being developed. But getting the place listed as a community asset probably would. So a developer can only develop if the local council give planning permission and with the Peak Park Planning Board that is not a straightforward thing to obtain particularly in the face of mass opposition.

The person who was wanting to buy it wanted to run it as a pub. But of course that wouldn't have stopped it closing a year down the line and being developed. But getting the place listed as a community asset probably would. So a developer can only develop if the local council give planning permission and with the Peak Park Planning Board that is not a straightforward thing to obtain particularly in the face of mass opposition.

But, the "third party" who had the sale agreed had also sought permission to develop the site as well as keeping the pub a pub had he not. Why did he "agree" to simply walk away after the sale had been agreed?

Archived