Closure of Anglers Rest Bamford. Please protest and help.

You perhaps need to brush up on your English language if you are trying to make a joke. A few years at a school in the Hope Valley would probably have allowed you to converse in the language.

Out of interest, will there be free on-street parking close enough to the pub to allow those wearing high heels to tippy toe to the pub door and help make a financial success of the place? It's just that Sheffield City Centre is losing all its restaurants and pubs because of just that issue and I'd hate the same to happen to some backwater watering hole out there among the yokels and dragons. Still, at least there'll be plenty of milk in the cows to drink from should it go udders up.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 15:14 ----------

I'm not sure an 80's yuppie wine bar would do too well up there.

They haven't got to the 1880s yet.

I saw the report about this on Look North a couple of nights ago and it appears that the village is somewhat divided as whether this is is the best way forward for the pub. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if it's true. What happens by the way if it all goes horribly wrong?

Out of interest, will there be free on-street parking close enough to the pub to allow those wearing high heels to tippy toe to the pub door and help make a financial success of the place? It's just that Sheffield City Centre is losing all its restaurants and pubs because of just that issue and I'd hate the same to happen to some backwater watering hole out there among the yokels and dragons. Still, at least there'll be plenty of milk in the cows to drink from should it go udders up

I see you aren't familiar with the Hope Valley. To answer your question there is free on street parking as well as a car park, so I can't imagine that will be a problem to those who own a car, although those who need to use the bus don't have the best service particularly if traveling from the wrong side of Sheffield. Still that's one of the attractions of the place. There's no riff raff keying the Jaguars and Mercedes.

Regarding milk I think there are probably more cattle in Graves Park and Whirlow Hall farm than there are in the Hope Valley.

I saw the report about this on Look North a couple of nights ago and it appears that the village is somewhat divided as whether this is is the best way forward for the pub. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if it's true. What happens by the way if it all goes horribly wrong?

"A camel designed by committee"

"A camel designed by committee"

I think there is a bit of sour grapes from a landlord who couldn't make the place pay.

The main problem was that the pubco didn't refurbish the place. That combined with a very high rent meant the place was going to struggle. A free house where there isn't a massive rent and beer can be bought on the free market is quite a different proposition.

That's odd because I know of several folk in the valley who own helicopters, IT businesses and properties abroad, and I suspect the ownership of I-Phones cars, and voice control appliances is rather higher than it is in Sheffield. So if Bamford is not yet in the 1880s, that must mean steam hasn't arrived in Sheffield yet.

I don't think the poster was referring to a technological perspective ;)

I studied feudalism at school so have more than an inkling. What's the local bartering rate for a seed drill these days or have they not reached you yet?

Odd as it may seem to someone who studied feudalism there is virtually no agriculture in the Hope Valley. A very large number of folks run quite successful businesses in Sheffield, Manchester, Stockport, Buxton etc and commute on a daily basis. There are also rather a lot of top executives from Sheffield Council around too. It seems that they prefer to live outside of Sheffield as their policies have made it into a place in which they clearly chose not to live.

Odd as it may seem to someone who studied feudalism there is virtually no agriculture in the Hope Valley. A very large number of folks run quite successful businesses in Sheffield, Manchester, Stockport, Buxton etc and commute on a daily basis. There are also rather a lot of top executives from Sheffield Council around too. It seems that they prefer to live outside of Sheffield as their policies have made it into a place in which they clearly chose not to live.

They're the only people who can afford to live out in the Hope Valley these days...

Archived