What to do if you come across a recent motorway crash??

And you point is?
That you'd be part of the problem, not of the solution...and that, at worst, you'd be dead. For no good reason.

How old are you btw, just out of curiosity? (my guess is, late teens/early 20s, when you're still 'invincible' :hihi:)

Obviously you have completely misunderstood my first post.
No, I ignored it in the vain hope that you were just trolling.

There's already a car in the outside lane, with someone inside and possibly injured, my car doesn't increase the risk of an accident, it lowers it because my car is well lit and empty unlike the car already there.

To the person inside the car or to the person thats going to hit your car?

"My car is well lit" is not an excuse that is going to wash when police asked you why you parked it in the outside lane of a busy motorway.

Your mindless hero antics would certainly cause a second crash further up the motorway, not only injuring more people but also preventing the emergency services from accessing the first casualty.

Well done, thanks to you a driver has lost their legs after ramming your car and the first person died waiting for an ambulance that couldn't get through the pile-up :loopy::loopy:

I would have stopped in the lane which had the crashed car, ideally you will be about 100m behind with your lights and hazards on to give plenty of warning to other drivers that their is a crash, this also gives some protection to the crashed motorist and yourself if you intend rendering assistance.

How could you have assessed the situation whilst driving at (presumably) motorway speed in enough time to be able to stop 100mtrs behind the incident?

You're driving up the M18 and come across someone who has just had an accident in lane 3. How do you intend to position you car 100m back the road?

When I'm driving on a motorway I'm look a mile ahead not just 100 meters ahead.

But by doing as you say, you are very likely to cause another accident meaning even more people are in need of treatment or even dead. The best thing you can do is alert the authorities who can provide far more protection to the casualty than a little car with hazard lights flashing.

How would my well lit car increase the possibility of accident when there is already a car in the road. Emergency vehicles might take 10 minutes to arrive by which time casualty could be dead or be out of the car walking infront of other vehicles.

---------- Post added 09-09-2013 at 13:55 ----------

So would you remain seated in your vehicle '100 metres closer to the moving traffic'?

Why would I do that? what would be the point? I've stopped to render assistance to a possible casualty, not sit and watch.

When I'm driving on a motorway I'm look a mile ahead not just 100 meters ahead.

on a blind bend in the dark.. are do accidents only happen on the straight bits in daylight..

What's the police advice about dealing with accidents on the m/w.. they're the experts after all...

To the person inside the car or to the person thats going to hit your car?

If someone's eyesight is that poor that they are going to hit my car then it is bad enough to be certain they will hit the casualties car. At least my car will be empty and the first casualty will be safer.

Why would I do that? what would be the point? I've stopped to render assistance to a possible casualty, not sit and watch.

Oh, I get it now! You're chuckling behind your computer screen at we the outraged who are taking your posts seriously, well done you had me suckered!

How could you have assessed the situation whilst driving at (presumably) motorway speed in enough time to be able to stop 100mtrs behind the incident?

That would depend on visibility but daylight and in reasonable weather it should be easy for anyone that is paying attention to the traffic conditions ahead.

If someone's eyesight is that poor that they are going to hit my car then it is bad enough to be certain they will hit the casualties car. At least my car will be empty and the first casualty will be safer.

I could maybe park 100m behind yours, would that help?

Archived