What to do if you come across a recent motorway crash??

If you abandon your car in lane three and someone runs into your going to get prosecuted and your going to get fined, no two ways about it.

Even if you think you were helping or trying to protect someone, because clearly you're a moron who shouldn't be allowed in a car.

or a Troll, hopefully a Troll.

You are incorrect and why do you all feel the need to become abusive.

And the car isn't abandoned, its creating a barrier between the moving vehicle and the one that is stationary with a possible injured person.

Based on the OP's posts and years of experience, my judgment is that it was safe to stop in lane 3 and render assistance.

No doubt you're a regular Reginald Molehusband, but what you can't foresee is the action of other drivers and how they will behave in an incongruous situation.

How do you intend to come to a standstill safely in lane 3?

How do you intend to get from your vehicle to the hard shoulder safely?

How do you think drivers bearing down on you in excess of 70 mph will react or second guess the behaviour of an imbecile parked in lane 3, out of his car and trying to cross the live carriageway? Will they swerve? Do an emergency stop? Smash into your car or collide with someone else's?

As I said earlier, your comments reek of leg-pulling, but I can't resist having mine tugged ;)

How do you intend to come to a standstill safely in lane 3?

I would use the brake at the appropriate pressure to slow down fast enough to avoid hitting the stationary car already in lane three whilst giving the drivers behind time to react.

How do you intend to get from your vehicle to the hard shoulder safely?

Why would I want to get my vehicle to the hard shoulder, the car that hit the barrier which contains a driver that might be injured is in lane three.

How do you think drivers bearing down on you in excess of 70 mph will react or second guess the behaviour of an imbecile parked in lane 3, out of his car and trying to cross the live carriageway? Will they swerve? Do an emergency stop? Smash into your car or collide with someone else's?

This isn't relevant because they will be slowing down or swerving anyway, to avoid the car already in lane three.

As I said earlier, your comments reek of leg-pulling, but I can't resist having mine tugged ;)

I think you should go back and read the OP then my first response, you appear to be under the impression I would simply stop in the lane three for no reason, I can only assume you got that impression because you have misread something.

I would use the break at the appropriate pressure to slow down fast enough to avoid hitting the stationary car already in lane three whilst giving the drivers behind time to react.

Why would I want to get my vehicle to the hard shoulder, the car that hit the barrier which contains a driver that might be injured is in lane three.

This isn't relevant because they will be slowing down or swerving anyway, to avoid the car already in lane three.

I think you should go back and read the OP then my first response, you appear to be under the impression I would simply stop in the lane three for no reason, I can only assume you got that impression because you have misread something.

I thing you should stop driving.

I passed an accident that had clearly just happened on the M18 this morning. It looked like a car in the 3rd lane had hit the central reservation, bounced off and was now stationary in the 3rd lane (fast lane). The driver was still in the car.

No other cars seemed to be involved and all other cars were taking evasive action and driving on.

I realised that I hadn’t a clue what you should do in this situation. I passed by in the middle lane and called the police- but kept going. I figured stopping in the fast lane just beyond the crashed car to check on the driver was dangerous. Stopping on the hard shoulder to make your way over to the driver would be pointless as you cant start crossing motorways lanes potentially causing more accidents.

Are there any police who can advise what a driver should do in this situation?

Every situation is different so what best for one accident might not be best for another.

If I reach the scene of an accident before the emergency services.

Turn your hazard lights on and stay calm.

Call the emergency services and give location and casualty details.

Check that any engines are switched off and ensure nobody is smoking.

Use the emergency roadside phone on a motorway or mobile you can check your location by using the hard shoulder markers, alternatively, direction of travel, motorway and which junction you have just passed.

Move walking wounded to safety away from the scene.

Stay at the scene until the emergency services arrive.

Stay well away from accidents involving dangerous goods or chemicals.

DON'T use a mobile phone close to flammable cargo.

DON'T move injured people from their vehicles unless there is danger of fire or explosion.

DON'T remove a motorcyclist's helmet unless absolutely essential.

Archived