Police beeping me even though I had nowhere else to go

They don't have the power to order you to break the law. Ie, if i was ordered to go through a red light and refused i couldn't be prosecuted for it.

Hopefully they'd save the tax payer further expense and inconvenience by applying common sense and just giving you a quick slap in the back of the van.

They don't have the power to order you to break the law. Ie, if i was ordered to go through a red light and refused i couldn't be prosecuted for it.

A Uniformed Police Officer DOES have such power and you could be prosecuted for failing to obey.

The request does have to be specific and clearly understood (beeping would not meet the criteria).

A Uniformed Police Officer DOES have such power and you could be prosecuted for failing to obey.

The request does have to be specific and clearly understood (beeping would not meet the criteria).

Well i'm willing to be proved wrong if someone links to an actual example of this happening.

Well i'm willing to be proved wrong if someone links to an actual example of this happening.

The whole point of having a police officer directing traffic is that he will override the traffic signals in order to create a better flow of traffic.

Powers of the police in England and Wales

The power to direct the behaviour of persons and vehicles on highways and in other public places.

Must I do what a traffic officer tells me?

Yes – where this is to managing traffic. It is an offense not to obey a traffic officer’s directions in this context. You can be fined and get penalty points on your license.

Hillsborough is a pain for this, it seems like every time I pass through at busy times there's an emergency vehicle with sirens on trying to get though; are they responding to an emergency on every one of these occasions? I think not somehow, they just can't be arsed to sit I the traffic.

Hi people,

What are the laws about moving out of the way of a police car when stuck behind another car at a red light? Earlier I was driving through hillsborough and stopped behind another car at a red light when I heard a police car behind me, I pulled as far forward/right as I could and then the police officer started beeping at me.

I had no intention of mounting the kerb as its a new motability car and I would get billed for any damage to the wheels. And those new kerbs are massive

What would you have done? and if the light is red and your at the front are you allowed to budge forward or should you just wait? I cant remember the exact rules

You must have a persecution complex. If there was a vehicle ahead of you that prevented you from getting out of the way then it's obvious the police was beeping at that vehicle.

Nobody would ever get 'nicked' for that. There is a remote chance that some sort of enforcement camera might pick it up and lead to an automated NIP being sent but I would be amazed if common sense didn't prevail whn the circumstances were revealed.

OK it's the Daily Mail, but: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204944/Driver-gets-60-fine-moving-yard-red-light-let-police-van-999-pass.html

Archived