Old Bus Companies

Falls

The thread on Sheffield United Tours (SUT) has jogged my memory. Does anyone remember all the other small bus companies that were permitted to come in to Sheffield. This was usually over the dead body of Sheffield Transport, who jealously tried to hang on to their monopoly.

Of course, there were buses from municipalities who had operating agreements with the Corporation: such as Rotherham, Chesterfield, Doncaster,etc. and public companies, such as: Yorkshire Traction and East Midland. I was thinking of the smaller operators.

Does anyone remember Booth and Fisher when the were not allowed into the city centre and had to start their service to Coal Aston and Killamarsh from the bottom end of Porter Street? Remember those 28 seat Bedford buses?

How about Beauchief Coaches, who ran a service to Ollerton. This started from outside the pub at the end of Castlegate, on the corner of Waingate.

Speaking of Yorkshire Traction, they used to operate a service from Castlegate to a place called Upton. I never met anybody who knew where Upton was, let alone had been there. (Google Earth has it somewhere near to Pontifract). As a child, I thought that Upton was a ficticious place and what really happened was once the the bus got past Sheffield Lane Top, it just disappeared off the face of the earth.

Perhaps Michael Wood might write a book or do a TV show entitled " In Search of Upton".

Regards

George Whiteley - Langsett Road - Sheffield

J O Andrews-shalesmoor - sheffield - now Yorkshire Terrier

Jeffcock - Sarah st - Sheffield

George Gill - Hillsbrough - Sheffield

Kirkby's - North Anston

Jacksons - Otley street - Sheffield

Hirst & Sweetings- Holme Lane - Sheffield

Law Brothers - Leppings Lane - Sheffield

Bartons - Nottingham

Wallace Arnold - Leeds

A lot of the companies photoed by Slimsid came into being after the bus deregulation bill. Leyland Nationals in particular were plentiful and cheap, and a lot of people thought it would be easy to set up a profitable company, not many are left!

Hulleys are still on the go, as are Andrews of Tideswell, one of the best of the new firms, Yorkshire Terrier was finally bought by Yorkshire Traction, itself now bought out by Stagecoach.

Don Valley Buses was a company set up by Stevensons of Uttoxeterr who won a couple of tenders in Sheffield and Rotherham in the early days of bus deregulation.

Info taken from book South Yorkshire's Transport 1974 -1995 by D Scott Hellewell which continues the story of bus services in Sheffield ( Sheffield Transport by C Hall... excellent history book now out of print however is available at libraries)

Archived