Help with family tree

Thebug

According to a tree on Ancestry he is Edwin Clifford Oxley - his parents are Joseph Harrison Oxley and Harriet Slater. Obviously this all needs verifying but its a new lead to follow. I always take these trees with a pinch of salt - according to the tree Edwins father is a stell manufacturer and not the coal miner you say it maybe.

Do you have Edwin and Mary's marriage certificate - the names of witnesses can be helpful and the fathers names should be on that as well. If not he could be illegitimate but if you have his birth certificate what is his mothers name she would have to be on that.

Edited by smary

According to a tree on Ancestry he is Edwin Clifford Oxley - his parents are Joseph Harrison Oxley and Harriet Slater. Obviously this all needs verifying but its a new lead to follow. I always take these trees with a pinch of salt - according to the tree Edwins father is a stell manufacturer and not the coal miner you say it maybe.

Do you have Edwin and Mary's marriage certificate - the names of witnesses can be helpful and the fathers names should be on that as well. If not he could be illegitimate but if you have his birth certificate what is his mothers name she would have to be on that.

Edwin C is still at home with his mother and single 1891.

Hi retep - several people on Ancestry have followed this Edwin Clfford Oxley and have put the marriage to Mary Emma Cockayne -1884 children

Eliza Oxley

1891 –

Henry Oxley

1891 –

Charlotte Oxley

1893 –

Francis Annie Oxley

1896 –

Hilda Oxley

1898 –

Edwin Oxley

1900 –

Always sceptical of the trees on Ancestry - I cross check everything before I believe them totally!!!

Hi retep - several people on Ancestry have followed this Edwin Clfford Oxley and have put the marriage to Mary Emma Cockayne -1884 children

Eliza Oxley

1891 –

Henry Oxley

1891 –

Charlotte Oxley

1893 –

Francis Annie Oxley

1896 –

Hilda Oxley

1898 –

Edwin Oxley

1900 –

Always sceptical of the trees on Ancestry - I cross check everything before I believe them totally!!!

Easily checked using FreeCEN for his parents, 1861-1891

1871 he is 7 years old RG10-4704-62

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have just seen your post regarding Edwin Clifford Oxley. He was the son of Joseph Harrison Oxley and Harriet Slater. This Edwin was my relative and he married Mabel Fernie Marsh in 1903. In the 1911 census they were living in Askham near Newark. He died in 1927 in Retford.

Edwin Clifford Oxley is not the same person who married Mary Emma Cockayne.

I have located the Edwin Oxley that you are looking for in the 1911 census aged 47 and living at 64 Broomhill, Wombwell with his wife Mary Emma Oxley. He was listed as a coal miner. There were 7 children aged between the ages of 19 and 1 - Henry, Hilda, Edwin, Arnold, Sydney, Dorothy & Elsie. Also, a Francis Cockayne was listed at the address, aged 73 (the mother in law).

In 1901 they were also living at this address - Children listed were Eliza, Henry, Charlotte, Francis Annie, Hilda & Edwin. Edwin is listed as being born in Attercliffe.

I hope this information helps. Good luck with your search.

Kind Regards

Elyse