11 September 2001 ['9/11']

My mom's birthday Sept 12 forever overshadowed. That day in 2001, she definitely did not get much of a party. An ex gf in Singapore also has, her mothers birthday on Thursday the 12th. I will send her a message.

Assad probably will have a bit of a party though on the 11th on his own birthday. He thinks he is winning.

September 11 is also the anniversary of the 1973 Chile coup and the date had a resonance for some, even before 2001.

I'm not sure we should do anything in the UK. Although Brits were killed, it's an American tragedy, not ours.

I can't see the 11th September TV documentaries going away anytime soon, but they're consigned to fringe channels now and not shown on the BBC. I suppose the footage is just so incredible, using that word meaning you just can't believe what you're seeing as it's too horrific to contemplate.

Boris Johnson is already doing just that. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24017353

A sculpture made from a reclaimed World Trade Center girder that was left to rust in a Cambridgeshire farmyard will now be installed in the Olympic Park.

The sculpture honours the nearly 3,000 people, including 67 Britons, killed in the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

It was installed in Battersea Park but removed after one month, with attempts to install it elsewhere failing.

Following reports it had been left to rust, London mayor Boris Johnson said it would be found a permanent home.

One of the supporters of the project, Lord West, confirmed the sculpture had been left in an unnamed Cambridgeshire farmyard since it was removed from Battersea.

He said the girders were "sacred objects" in the US and only six pieces had been sent around the world.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson unveiled the sculpture Boris Johnson unveiled the sculpture in September 2011

"I think [the Americans] will be pretty shocked," he said.

"It's pretty pathetic, I think, that no one in this great city of ours has been willing to say we want it to have it here."

Lord West blamed bureaucratic "back-biting" for the failure to find a permanent home for the sculpture in London after it was initially unveiled in September 2011 - 10 years on from the attacks.

Mr Johnson said it had proved "incredibly difficult" with opposition from "boroughs and bureaucrats".

He said: "Clearly this can't continue. As a result I've asked my team to find a permanent home for the sculpture on the Olympic Park.

"The park was home to a Games based on tolerance, harmony and respect, and will soon be home to a massive multi-dimensional and vibrant community - the perfect riposte to those who sought to divide the world on 9/11."

The sculpture, titled "After 9/11", was created by US artist Miya Ando.

I'm not sure we should do anything in the UK. Although Brits were killed, it's an American tragedy, not ours.

I can't see the 11th September TV documentaries going away anytime soon, but they're consigned to fringe channels now and not shown on the BBC. I suppose the footage is just so incredible, using that word meaning you just can't believe what you're seeing as it's too horrific to contemplate.

I agree. Why should we have to visibly DO anything.

Quiet personal relection on a tragic event should be perfectly sufficient. All this percieved need for public memorium on anything and everything is totally unncessary.

What do Amercians do on 7/7 each year? How about the anniversaries of the many IRA attacks on London and Manchester is there national usa public mourning and rememberence for that each year?

I agree. Why should we have to visibly DO anything.

Quiet personal relection on a tragic event should be perfectly sufficient. All this percieved need for public memorium on anything and everything is totally unncessary.

What do Amercians do on 7/7 each year? How about the anniversaries of the many IRA attacks on London and Manchester is there national usa public mourning and rememberence for that each year?

I agree.

And add that if the USA (and other western powers, including the UK) kept their greedy, oil/profit hungry noses out of other countries business, maybe such atrocities wouldn't befall them.

Afterall one wouldn't poke a hornets nest with a stick would one?

I agree.

And add that if the USA (and other western powers, including the UK) kept their greedy, oil/profit hungry noses out of other countries business, maybe such atrocities wouldn't befall them.

Afterall one wouldn't poke a hornets nest with a stick would one?

Why not show a little respect? This is about 9/11. Start another thread about greed and profit. There are enough of them already on the forum BTW

There were several Brits among the victims that day

Why not show a little respect? This is about 9/11. Start another thread about greed and profit. There are enough of them already on the forum BTW

Indeed there were, and I feel for the families, friends and countrymen of all who were involved, but I had to point out that the west was not blameless in such a tragedy.

It is usually the innocent who are harmed in a "terrorist" attack.

Doubtless many people were "Collateral Damage" ............ I wonder where that phrase originated?

Respect is earned, the USA used the tragic deaths on 9/11 to further its project for the new American century aims and even though bin laden is gone and most of the perpetrators of that crime also it continues to spin lies and brands people terrorists as and when it sees fit when in reality you are creating more terrorists.

As another poster pointed out, what does the USA do on the anniversary of 7/7 in this country?

America has killed enough innocent people in revenge for 9/11 so if your looking for respect than look to your own citizens and don't expect other nations people to show respect when you don't show much yourselves.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 02:11 ----------

Archived