11 September 2001 ['9/11']

I thought there was a special QT on the night of 9/11?.

I thought it was on the same evening, but it could well have been a couple of days later, emotions were obviously running very high for a lot of people around that time.

A quick Google search seems to suggest it probably was the Thursday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1544897.stm

That was probably the closest I've ever come to putting my foot through the TV.....and believe me, the England football team have tested my patience a few times. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

How about the Irish Republican Army then? How do you feel about the IRA?

Were they justified in doing what they did? According to their mind set they were fighting a country who they saw as occupying part of their island and which had inflicted centuries of tyranny on their people.

If you're making excuses for the 9/11 bombers why shouldnt you feel that the IRA were only doing the same thing, that is carrying out attacks to settle a score? Different causes, same mentalities, same methods

He's anti-western, so he probably agrrees with what the IRA were doing, even if he tries to deny it.

Everybody including me agrees 9/11 was a terrible crime and the loss of life was sad but events that followed and the innocents killed in revenge by the USA is far greater the number killed in 9/11.

I'm not making excuses for the bombers because they made life harder for the rest of the Muslims in this world.

I don't believe that people should feel they have to mark the 9/11 anniversary if they don't want to.

To mecky, for your information I'm not anti western I just don't believe people should be expected/compelled to show grief and sadness for an event that in turn led to the slaughter of many many innocent lives in retaliation.

Everybody including me agrees 9/11 was a terrible crime and the loss of life was sad but events that followed and the innocents killed in revenge by the USA is far greater the number killed in 9/11.

I'm not making excuses for the bombers because they made life harder for the rest of the Muslims in this world.

I don't believe that people should feel they have to mark the 9/11 anniversary if they don't want to.

To mecky, for your information I'm not anti western I just don't believe people should be expected/compelled to show grief and sadness for an event that in turn led to the slaughter of many many innocent lives in retaliation.

Of course if you don't feel grief then you shouldn't be expected to show it.

I found it extremely sad and I feel it is important that is remembered, personally. I also find the loss of further innocent lives in retaliation very sad. I see no reason why one cannot mark 9/11 and still feel sadness and grief for victims of war elsewhere. Killing of any kind is an abomination to God.

Of course if you don't feel grief then you shouldn't be expected to show it.

I found it extremely sad and I feel it is important that is remembered, personally. I also find the loss of further innocent lives in retaliation very sad. I see no reason why one cannot mark 9/11 and still feel sadness and grief for victims of war elsewhere. Killing of any kind is an abomination to God.

I would agree with this. I feel sadness for the thousands who dies on 9/11, and for those who died in Iraq, Afghanistan (on both sides), London on 7/7 and all the other tragedies before and since.

I think 9/11 should be remembered but it's a personal thing and I would not enforce a minutes silence on anyone since if it's enforced or people are shamed into it, it's not an act of remembrance or a mark of respect.

I don't think it's over dramatic to say the world changed on 9/11, and it happened live on daytime television. I'm not a religious person so I won't be going to church or an organised service, but I will spend a few minutes reflecting later, wondering how different the world would be if 9/11 hadn't happened.

I thought there was a special QT on the night of 9/11?

QT is recorded a few hours, early evening, before it's transmitted, or at least used to be. The attacks took place early afternoon our time. I can't possibly see how the BBC could have organised a panel and audience as well as studio time in a couple of hours.

I thought there was a special QT on the night of 9/11?

The BBC clearly doesn't learn from their mistakes, hence Nicky Campbell spending the morning of the 12th anniversary of 9/11 asking British Muslims how their lives were affected by the attacks.

Why was that a mistake? Their lives were probably more affected by it than yours or mine might have been.

Why should you "feel you have to mark 9/11"? No one is putting a gun to your head. People of many nationalities died on 9/11. If some in Britain lost loved ones that day then they will mourn their passing and rightly so.

Muslims are slaughtering Muslims in Egypt, Libya, Iraq and Syria by the thousands and 2 miilion Syrians have been driven into refugee camps to live a life of near squalor. Who are you blaming for that?

I agree. Why should we have to visibly DO anything.

Quiet personal relection on a tragic event should be perfectly sufficient. All this percieved need for public memorium on anything and everything is totally unncessary.

What do Amercians do on 7/7 each year? How about the anniversaries of the many IRA attacks on London and Manchester is there national usa public mourning and rememberence for that each year?

I think it was a monumental turning point in recent history.

I find the beating, of our friends across the pond, distasteful, at the least and full of spite at its worst. To use 9/11 as a means to gloat because of a political dislike of the USA is discusting.

The USA is a special friend to the UK. We have a great history of fighting the unjust together and long may it continue.

Respect to all all suffered at the hands of the murderers and long may the USA and UK special relationship continue.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 16:21 ----------

I appreciate what you say in relation to marking the event. But it was seen as an act of war. So retaliation was inevitable.

We celebrate VE day when many innocents also died. We bombed entire cities to the ground.

Perhaps we shouldn't celebrate any result of conflict.

As a matter of interest would you celebrate a Palestine victory over Israel?

Archived