Should we have plastic banknotes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24029785

Should our currency be made of plastic? The bank of England are trialing this new idea. Personally I don't like it. Plastic is a cheap and nasty substance. Paper has worked for centuries so why change it?

An individual bank note will not last for centuries, an individual plastic one may. The difference is probably the reason, as well as security. "I don't like it" isn't the best of reasons. I used to love travelling by steam train but advancement was always going to be inevitable.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 20:00 ----------

Maybe we should have plastic coins as well?

Good point, and why not.

Recycling gone mad if you ask me. Difficult to forge though ... if you get given a tenner and its got 'Flora' embedded in the back of it, you can bet it's probably a forgery.

Perhaps another cost-cutting way to produce the notes would be to do the recycling ourselves ... cut out the middle men and the Royal Bank of Airfix? ... I reckon someone who's au fait with a pair of wallpaper scissors could get about three grands worth of twenties out of a Tesco bag. We'd all be rich beyond our wildest imaginings! :o

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 20:16 ----------

Maybe we should have plastic coins as well?

Shirt buttons? You could use them in the parking meters ... Sheffield Council take the shirt off your back to park anyway ... may as well have the buttons too! :)

Archived