Sheffield Half Marathon

jemson

There's supposed to be an announcement soon about the new route (I'm suspecting it involves a football ground in S6). Going to be a big ask to fill the gap left by DVS IMO. Maybe it would work if BOTH clubs were involved. How's about a route Hillsboro - city centre - bramall Lane including a lap of the pitch at each? That would be special / unique but it'll be football season still so not realistic.

I hope its 52 laps of Woodbourn Road

Its the week before London which is as bad as on the same day.

Not guaranteed to finish on the grass but seems likely. I think it should finish at the top next to the crucible (not theatre) ;-)

---------- Post added 17-09-2013 at 14:03 ----------

My question is where will they find the missing mile that will be short starting/finishing there?

Not guaranteed to finish on the grass but seems likely. I think it should finish at the top next to the crucible (not theatre) ;-)

"Runners will enter the Don Valley Bowl via Terry Street and then run on the grass to the finish."

http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/info/route/

Bring ya wellington boots! ;-)

My question is where will they find the missing mile that will be short starting/finishing there?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they add a bit of Eccy park in to the route!

Its the week before London which is as bad as on the same day.

---------- Post added 17-09-2013 at 14:03 ----------

Instead of turning down Jenson St they might send us further down Attercliffe Common to do a loop round Carbrook St/Weedon St back round onto Brightside lane? :confused:

Whatever option they choose to add the extra, it's unlikely to be pretty, is it? And there's a fair chance that we'll be next to a demolition site. What an embarrassment for our city of sport.

The council are looking to get the bulldozers in as early as November which the 'save don Valley' people are fighting. More likely to be next to either a building site or, if rumours are to be believed, a school for immigrant children. I hope it will be either handed over to the save DVS or they get the money for the sports park. But I doubt it.

How about a couple of laps of the indoor track in the EIS to finish? :hihi:

At least the EIS is inbetween DonValley and the bowl, so should in theory mean that the demolition if going on won't be seen.

You never know the new facility and Velodrome may be complete by then....

Archived