Sheffield Half Marathon

jemson

The council are looking to get the bulldozers in as early as November which the 'save don Valley' people are fighting. More likely to be next to either a building site or, if rumours are to be believed, a school for immigrant children. I hope it will be either handed over to the save DVS or they get the money for the sports park. But I doubt it.

A school for immigranct children? give over.

The land is being bought by the university and will be build on as an extension of the EIS.

After just doing Great North Run (only started running in June) can't see how Sheffield 21k can compete with the atmosphere of 56,000 runners! Doing Sheffield 10k Sunday

All races are different. Personally I prefer the smaller races in nice locations eg. Dambusters at Derwent.

Big events arent always the best and I would prefer like, jemson, smaller club organised races that cost £10 etc than the ones like GNR, GYR & VMLM charging £30. Im not saying I wont do them but I would like my money go to supporting running clubs than lining someones pockets. I do pay for two big events in the Leeds abbey dash where I know its a very PB friendly race and sheffield half.

I like sheffield half because its my local one and I know who is usually around me so I judge how well I have ran against them. PBs are nice but conditions like weather have a big effect. Better to think well he normally beats me but I beat him today irrespective of time ran. I wouldn't be able to race in gareshead and know who to race and who to ignore in the same way. To be honest the scenery isnt a big deal because I don't pay much attention to it and am too busy on whats ahead.

• 5 months later...

Just done Retford Half today, comparable level of difficultly to Sheffield Half (maybe a little faster). Weather was quite hot though, no cloud, just sun sun sun. Always seems to drain me a bit. Also did a long walk in Wales last Saturday, 9 hours, 6000 ft ascent, snow on top 500ft of Snowdon; my legs are still adapting from walk mode to run mode. Hoping to get a few long runs along Monsal Trail before Sheffield Half, need to get back in run mode!

Only 4 weeks to go! Yikes! :)

Just done Retford Half today :)

I thought it was a nice course today apart from perhaps some of the stretches of road being too long and straight if you know what I mean.

Ended up walking on two occasions for around 30 meters around the 10-12 mile points as the adductor niggle I've been having for the last 4-5 weeks flared up but still managed a nice PB on both my 10 mile and Half Marra times :)

Archived