Sheffield Half Marathon

jemson

It will be my first half marathon ever this year. Always said I would do one before I was forty.

Looking at getting around 1.50.

How hard is course?

Very gentle course, little bit uphill until the turn-around on Ecclesall Road and a cost back down much of the way until the finish. One or two minor uphill grades near the end can be quite trying so I would recommend not going too quickly back down Eccy Road (most people speed up at the half-way stage) and saving a bit for the end.

It will be my first half marathon ever this year. Always said I would do one before I was forty.

Looking at getting around 1.50.

How hard is course?

this will be my 3rd SHM...and overall 12th half marathon since I started running 3 years ago....just did Liverpool Half as well...last I year I did in 1.46...will be happy if I can achieve the same or better...I'm 42!!

nothing to worry....take it easy.....save some energy and not to try last minute training...specially last 2-3 days, take rest....perhaps some walk to keep your joins warm and fresh...

from 4th-7th miles, go on your own pace....dont push harder...(first or second gear).

provided how weather will be, Eccy road will be fantaastic....loads of cheering ....

good luck for all the runners....-:))

this will be my 3rd SHM...and overall 12th half marathon since I started running 3 years ago....just did Liverpool Half as well...last I year I did in 1.46...will be happy if I can achieve the same or better...I'm 42!!

nothing to worry....take it easy.....save some energy and not to try last minute training...specially last 2-3 days, take rest....perhaps some walk to keep your joins warm and fresh...

from 4th-7th miles, go on your own pace....dont push harder...(first or second gear).

provided how weather will be, Eccy road will be fantaastic....loads of cheering ....

good luck for all the runners....-:))

Yeh good advice especially the pacing bit.

Worst thing I ever did was start to fast,it can screw your whole race up as you feel like you are trying to recover the whole time.

Slow start and after a couple of miles your body will tell you what your pace will be,try and go faster and you will likely end up regretting it and finishing slower.

Worst thing I ever did was start to fast, it can screw your whole race up as you feel like you are trying to recover the whole time.

Slow start and after a couple of miles your body will tell you what your pace will be, try and go faster and you will likely end up regretting it and finishing slower.

Me too, with the starting too fast thing. It's all too easy to get carried along with the excitement and momentum of the race at the start, and find yourself running faster than you really should be.

I feel a lot better now though, and pace myself well at the start; definitely having a race plan in mind, a target pace, and a Garmin on my wrist, all helps! :)

Archived