Sheffield Half Marathon

jemson

I dont think there is official timing. It was officially cancelled and total caotic scene....I have run in many other cities (B'ham, Liverpool, Gret North Run, Manchester etc etc) and I would rate this year's Sheffield Half Marathon is the worst in terms of almost everything.

Most of the runners were really disapointed and the organisers failed to keep the runners informed the situation. No public announcement whatsoever....it was total pathetic situation....

Organisers must appologise and refund the money back fully to the runners.....I do not think they will be able to attract half the runners next year.

my respect goes to the amazing people who bought water using their own money and distributing to the runners....

Totally agree. Organisation and communication to runners, was a shambles; and why didn't they have a contingency plan B incase the water supplier couldn't deliver?

Dispute all that, I enjoyed the run; the runners and people of Sheffield were awesome! Thanks! Also, thanks to the elite runners for deciding to start the race anyway. :)

I also heard Ponds Forge were asked to help with the water situation, but refused, is that correct, does anyone know?

On-line entries closing today, very poor choice of dates given Manchester/London marathons, relatively expensive entry and no stadium finish this year. Can't quite believe what is happening to this event!

From bad to worse....just heard the race organiser on the national news and I am astonished there was no immediate apology. Great to hear though the amazing people of Sheffield buying water from shops and handing it out to runners.

We were on Bramall Lane dishing out jelly babies. What a farce. We were about to return home when the leaders started appearing. And Manc hosted a 26.2 today with 7000 runners.

Thanks for supporting mate! Did they come through all in a clump, the elite runners, with bibs ripped off?

Someone said the first 50 or so had to rip off their bib numbers for some reason...

I was right at the start - probably on this clip http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26914492

The tannoy was pretty weak and just a constant drivel of charity information. Right up until the "cancellation" - the official excuse was that there were cars illegally parked on the course. Only right at the last minute - did the water reason get a mention.

Talking to some of the top boys after was that the discussion in the race was how far they were gonna get before being run off the road. Couple of my mates up the front were "shanghai'd" (his words..) by police cyclists. Presumably the event website is offline so it doesn't get hacked...

The event website is not offline, just very slow to load. Still no results, so maybe there is a problem here as well.

There shouldn't be - the timing mats were pinging OK at the start and finish - Maybe there is a lot of traffic:o

Thanks for supporting mate! Did they come through all in a clump, the elite runners, with bibs ripped off?

Someone said the first 50 or so had to rip off their bib numbers for some reason...

They did. We then wondered if just a few would come through but then the droves followed.

And Manchester has the results DURING the race so I got updates from a mate who ran it at 10k, 10 miles, HM, 20 miles!!!!

Archived