Worktops. Easy to fit myself?

Maxtor

Worktops, are they simple to fit? Can i get fitting kit that will help me with the angles and the cuts?

I want to replace mine but im a little unsure if its a DIY job or if i have to get someone to do it for me? Its pretty straight forward. A length about 1.4m then a right angle to a length of 3.0m then another right angle to a length of around 1.4m then a final right angle to a breakfast bar.

Does that sound straight forward and easy enough or would people suggest a tradesman?]

Thanks in advance. ::)

I would class myself as a pretty competent DIYer, I recently fitted a utility room units, plumbing etc. I wouldn't have attempted the worktop though, I wanted a good finish and it's not as easy as it looks. Took 2 pros half a day to fit two lengths with one right angle and sink cut out.

Yes it's an easy job to do DIY, but you'll need a circular saw or a decent jigsaw to make the cut - the professionals use a special tool but it's abit expensive.

The best way I found was to make the cut leaving abit of material to play with, then use a sander to perfect the join - it takes abit of time but with patience and a good eye you'll do a great job.

If you just make the cut and shove em together you'll find the saw blade chips at the laminate leaving abit of a rough edge - the sander doesn't chip it so you get a perfect finish.

You can buy some coloured jointing putty to finish the join.

Yes it's an easy job to do DIY, but you'll need a circular saw or a decent jigsaw to make the cut - the professionals use a special tool but it's abit expensive.

The best way I found was to make the cut leaving abit of material to play with, then use a sander to perfect the join - it takes abit of time but with patience and a good eye you'll do a great job.

If you just make the cut and shove em together you'll find the saw blade chips at the laminate leaving abit of a rough edge - the sander doesn't chip it so you get a perfect finish.

You can buy some coloured jointing putty to finish the join.

To avoid the laminate chipping if you're using a jig saw, it's also best to turn the worktop over and cut from the underside.

This is because a conventional saw blade makes the cut on the 'up' stroke and so will prevent any chips being pushed off the laminated side. You can also get special blades that cut on the 'down' stroke, in which case it is not necessary to turn the worktop over.

It also prevents any scratching from the footplate of the jig saw.

Maxtor,

When I fitted my kitchen, I fitted the units, the built in electric cooker, plumbing and electrics. But, anticipating the issues with the worktops I left it to the professionals.

These guys will use a router, and a jig for the specific job they are doing. Even if you had the tools, I think one would have to practice quite a bit to get a quality finish.

We fitted our own kitchen and worktops despite no previous experience and it looks pretty good...fair enough it's not as perfect as a professional job but to look at it you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's level and sturdy so we're happy we gave it a go. It was a lot of heavy lifting (well for me anyway) and of course you take off little bits at a time so lots of putting it in place and then taking it back out again!

We fitted the mother-in-laws a year or so later and hers looks better than ours because we'd had a bit of practice!

To avoid the laminate chipping if you're using a jig saw, it's also best to turn the worktop over and cut from the underside.

Yep, and you can also lay a piece of masking tape over the laminate and cut through that.

Not perfect tho and you still get chipping, which is why you touch it up with the sander to remove the chipped area.

Yep, and you can also lay a piece of masking tape over the laminate and cut through that.

Not perfect tho and you still get chipping, which is why you touch it up with the sander to remove the chipped area.

You're giving totally the wrong advice here, which could cost someone a lot of money! ... using a sander to get a 'perfect joint' is idiotic to say the least, and certainly you don't use 'coloured jointing putty' ... totally amateurish. How do you join the two pieces of worktop together? ... do you use a biscuit jointer as well? :huh:

To do the joint properly, you need a router (plus collet), a worktop jig, worktop bolts and a biscuit cutter (or equivalent for router). This gives a perfect joint which when glued and siliconed together needs no filler and is waterproof (very important). It's easy to do if you have the correct tools. :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is he needs to go out and spend well over a hundred quid on tools that:

A: He doesn't know how to use

B: will only use once.

At least there's half a chance he's got a sander and jigsaw in the tool shed, it may not be the preferred method of joining two worktops but it works fine, just takes a while longer and if you pay attention to detail the join comes out fine.

A professional joiner will defiantly use your method, but good joiners are very busy and for something like fitting a worktop you might be waiting a while before they can get round to you.

I was guessing the OP wants the job done this weekend???

Archived