Motown and Soul night at the Old Harrow in Grenoside

thedemon

Saturday the 15th of September at the Old Harrow in Grenoside

These popular nights are perfect for those of you who love to dance the night away to all of the club classics!

Come and be entertained by our regular Soul DJ Chris who will play your requests, along with his fantastic selection of Soul Music from the 60’s and 70’s.*

http://oldharrow.co.uk/Home.php

why quality of sound is in cd or mp3
Not being a dj, you wont understand the concept of a "purist"...

Yes, it may be an outdated concept, given todays technology, but for some, the originals, on vinyl are the best, and cd and mp3 format remove the character of the track..

Not being a dj, you wont understand the concept of a "purist"...

Yes, it may be an outdated concept, given todays technology, but for some, the originals, on vinyl are the best, and cd and mp3 format remove the character of the track..

No they are not best just different, complete with possible wow and flutter,surface noise, tendency to warp,pressing faults , heavy to carry etc.I have sold my AR Legend deck fitted with a Linn Arm and AT cartridge for over three hundred pounds to a hi-fi fool who already had an LP12.I have every motown single ever issued some are very rare and to be honest not very good musically, a good bit rate mp3 will more than hold its own played over a P.A system.I rest my case for digital audio.

No they are not best just different, complete with possible wow and flutter,surface noise, tendency to warp,pressing faults , heavy to carry etc.I have sold my AR Legend deck fitted with a Linn Arm and AT cartridge for over three hundred pounds to a hi-fi fool who already had an LP12.I have every motown single ever issued some are very rare and to be honest not very good musically, a good bit rate mp3 will more than hold its own played over a P.A system.I rest my case for digital audio.

I didnt make myself clear, I meant for some people vinyl is the best format for motown & soul tracks...

for those of us who still enjoy the reassurring hiss and crackle of stylus on vinyl, cd's will never compare. to me, cd's will always sound "flat" because the sounds are compressed into an upper and lower bandwidth which kills the intensity of higher and lower notes in the musical piece. mp3's are even worse as they introduce a tinnynous to the music as if it is played through a poundland transistor radio. the sort of stereo system that makes bruce springsteen sound like bruce forsyth - sorry bruce! laptop music systems add the "everything at the same volume" curse to songs from different eras. for example, do wah diddy diddy, comes in at great volume on the vinyl, causing the dj to reach for the fader sometimes, however on mp3 it comes in pretty flat and on most dj's laptops it fades it's way in, so much so, that the impact on the crowd is lost. not like the old days when the crowd cheered when the song fired up.

the rot set in when the dolby noise reduction system was invented and used for cassette tapes. then early cd's were then recorded at such a low bit rate that much of the music integrity was lost, it was like a waterfall with steps disrupting the flow, or, as one classical music buff once told me, cd's "lack the emotion of vinyl". quite often some tracks were a very poor stereo version of mono hits and one side of the audio would often drop out or be unfeasably louder than it should be, or feature the occasional instrument. worse still, have the musi in one ear and the vocals in the other. this was especially noticeable and annoying when listening through headphones.

there is a fortune to be made by the guy who invents a sound system that adds authentic "distressed" noise to tracks automatically as you play them - a dolby noise induction system perhaps.

when i want that "vintage" record sound, i just use a mixer with crackly knobs.... hang on, i could be on to something here........................!

for those of us who still enjoy the reassurring hiss and crackle of stylus on vinyl, cd's will never compare. the rot set in when the dolby noise reduction system was invented and used for cassette tapes. then, early cd's were recorded at such a low bit rate that much of the music integrity was lost. as one classical music buff once told me, cd's "lack the emotion of vinyl". quite often some tracks were a very poor stereo version of mono hits and one side of the audio would often drop out or be unfeasably louder than it should be. this was especially noticeable when listening through headphones.

there is a fortune to be made by the guy who invents a sound system that adds authentic "distressed" noise to tracks automatically as you play them - a dolby noise induction system perhaps.

when i want that "vintage" record sound, i just use a mixer with crackly knobs.... hang on, i could be on to something here........................!

Thanks, that explained it better than I could...

Archived