Is it time for anonymity for the accused?

Another case hot on the heels of the Coronation Street star's acquittal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418993/Trial-collapses-men-accused-rape-police-discover-new-evidence-old-Twitter-account-14.html

Some more men with lives tainted by what appears to be a false accusation.

I'm undecided, to be honest.

If the alleged were anonymous then people like Jimmy Saville and Stuart Hall may have got away with it?

Or would they?

If they were found guilty of a single charge their name would be released and others can then come forward. This would make it easier to achieve a successful prosecution if they're already banged up for a similar offense?

If we should name the alleged, knowing that some of them will be innocent, is that fair, is that justice? Imagine a teacher going back to work after such an ordeal, could they continue to do the job? Would parents trust them?

These offenses can be very difficult to prove, because it can be one word against the other. Should we be prepared to ruin lives of the accused, or should they remain anonymous?

False accusations happen, for various reasons, financial or revenge. I have a relative who was accused of rape when he was 16. The girl broke down in the witness box and said she made it up because she was mad with him! She walked free.

So I can see arguments from both sides, what about you?

There still wouldn't be any anonymity whatsoever. The girl in the trial has been named on Twitter. As was the girl in the trial with the SUFC footballer.

You only have to watch the news (particularly ITV) where they get around it by using the phrase "locals have speculated that the name of the person is xxxxxx".

If the authorities are making the name of an accused person public in order that others may come forward with similar claims in order to build a prosecution case on a pattern of alleged offending then perhaps the complainants name should be made public to allow the defence the same opportunity to build their case.

No I'm against anonymity - those who falsely allege rape form a tiny minority. Yes it has a devastating impact on the lives of those who are wrongly accused. However people need to remember that people are innocent until proven guilty; and maybe the media particularly the tabloids need to be more responsible when reporting on these matters.

If there is someone I don't like, can I make false allegations of rape against them, dragging them through the courts, damaging their reputation etc, even if they're found innocent...

Then I get away with that, scott free?

Is that fair?

No.

... and you may be prosecuted for false accusation and wasting police time.

Some do go to jail for it.

Some do go to jail for it.

Then again, there will be some people who were factually raped, and made the allegation of rape, and yet the accused is then found not-guilty (even though he was factually guilty).

How horrendous for a rape victim, to be then sent to prison for, in essence, telling the truth (i.e. found guilty of making false accusations, which were in fact, true accusations)?

It may be an uncomfortable truth, but people who suffer sexual assault need to come forward in order to protect others.

Of course there is the idea that naming someone, before trial, will encourage this, but why would anyone need encouragement if they've suffered such a heinous crime in the first place?

We have to accept, in a court hearing that the victim will have to suffer some cross examination. People do lie on occasions about all sorts of things. But of course most alleged attacks did happen but we can't have anyone being found guilty, or there reputation in tatters before they have even been found guilty.

Anyone who has made a false accusation should also accept that they are one of the reasons real victims have to suffer doubt. The truth usually comes out though, so personal sacrifice is needed by victims to prevent serial offenders continually getting away with it.

Although, in cases like, Saville, there was obviously some kind of cover up. Some people at the BBC, for example, should be charged with aiding and abetting Saville.

---------- Post added 13-09-2013 at 12:43 ----------

Finding a defendant not-guilty does not automatically make an accusation 'false'.

By the same rule then someone found guilty, can be innocent?

Archived