Is it time for anonymity for the accused?

One assumes that the CPS considered the case strong enough.

Secondly, if the abuse was historic, there wouldn't be any forensic evidence.

It appears in this case it was simply one person's word against anothers.

Without evidence/proof I feel it strange this case reached court.

I think he was charged for the reason already discussed. There's a thirst for more convictions and the police and CPS fear being criticised for not bringing cases to court.

They want bums on cell seats, guilty or not.

Given that the government are trying to keep offenders out of prison and the CPS is an agency of the government how can that argument hold water?

You assume that. I don't join you.

Most rape cases are, to a large degree. It's rare that the crime has a witness.

But it is very rare that any case reaches court without corroborating or forensic evidence.

Are we now lowering the threshold to charge a person and proceed to trial ?

I fully appreciate that there may be factors we are ignorant of but it appears that in this case it was solely one persons word against anothers.

But it is very rare that any case reaches court without corroborating or forensic evidence.

Are we now lowering the threshold to charge a person and proceed to trial ?

I fully appreciate that there may be factors we are ignorant of but it appears that in this case it was solely one persons word against anothers.

It's not usual but it's not unheard of and often in rape/sexual assault cases it's one person's word against another. The argument usually relates to issues of consent, how it was given and how the defendant regarded it.

It's not usual but it's not unheard of and often in rape/sexual assault cases it's one person's word against another. The argument usually relates to issues of consent, how it was given and how the defendant regarded it.

But it is completely different in this case where the defendant denied any offence had taken place whereas in your example it is agreed that an act was undertaken.

Archived