Is it time for anonymity for the accused?

My concern in all these celebrity cases is the danger of a lime light seeker or two coming along and with no evidence the weight of numbers starts to make a case in itself.

Your concern is that if a man rapes a large number of women, another 1 or 2 might come along and lie about it to join in?

You need to sort your priorities out.

There's a wealth of information available as to the reasons victims of sexual assaults don't always come forward - guilt, shame, fear of the person who assaulted them, fear they won't be believed and so on. Many survivors have precarious mental health and fear the consequences of having to re-live their experience.

Yes I understand that. I suppose only those who have suffered really know the pain a trial would bring and mental health problems makes things extremely difficult for some.

It is a difficult issue. I was thinking more of the people who have come forward as part of the recent celebrity scandals. Why have they waited all this time to come forward? And I'm not just talking about the more serious offenses. Dave Lee Travis, as I understand it, has charges where he groped several women, which of course is wrong. But hardly a traumatic experience for the victim.

I feel these sorts of cases are now coming to light because, lets be frank, there's going to be a pay day.

I've been groped numerous times in my life, in days gone by, at that time it wasn't considered a "crime" more of a cheek. If Ii didn't like the gropee they'd get a slap, if I did, I'd grope them back.

That's how it was.

I remember telling my mum about a chap at work who put his hand on the leg of a colleague, he misread her friendship. He was suspended and eventually ended up taking early retirement.

Mum said "why didn't she just smack him across the face and that would have been the end of it."

Your concern is that if a man rapes a large number of women, another 1 or 2 might come along and lie about it to join in?

You need to sort your priorities out.

No my concern is that someone makes an unfounded alegation against someone in the public eye and a few others decide to make up stories and all of a sudden an innocent man is overwhelmed by false evidence. You need to sort your priorities out.

In the case we are discussing what affect do you imagine a couple of glory seekers would have had on the verdict? Or do you assume that Michael Le Vell is guilty and that the woman making the accusations was telling the truth?

Yes I understand that. I suppose only those who have suffered really know the pain a trial would bring and mental health problems makes things extremely difficult for some.

It is a difficult issue. I was thinking more of the people who have come forward as part of the recent celebrity scandals. Why have they waited all this time to come forward? And I'm not just talking about the more serious offenses. Dave Lee Travis, as I understand it, has charges where he groped several women, which of course is wrong. But hardly a traumatic experience for the victim.

I feel these sorts of cases are now coming to light because, lets be frank, there's going to be a pay day.

I've been groped numerous times in my life, in days gone by, at that time it wasn't considered a "crime" more of a cheek. If Ii didn't like the gropee they'd get a slap, if I did, I'd grope them back.

That's how it was.

I remember telling my mum about a chap at work who put his hand on the leg of a colleague, he misread her friendship. He was suspended and eventually ended up taking early retirement.

Mum said "why didn't she just smack him across the face and that would have been the end of it."

For exactly the reasons I talked about...

Just because you don't mind being groped doesn't mean others don't mind.

The experience of being groped (or indecently assaulted as we call it in the 21st century) can be deeply traumatic and unpleasant for the victim.

You can't judge other's responses by your own (rather odd sounding) standards.

A mass collective false allegation?

:rolleyes:

Do you think that the allegation against Michael Le Vell were true or false?

You only have to look at how many girls have claimed that Justin Beeber is the farther of their children to see how celebrity attracts these things.

Do you think that the allegation against Michael Le Vell were true or false?

You only have to look at how many girls have claimed that Justin Beeber is the farther of their children to see how celebrity attracts these things.

My gut feeling is that were true, but I wasn't on the jury.

For exactly the reasons I talked about...

Just because you don't mind being groped doesn't mean others don't mind.

The experience of being groped (or indecently assaulted as we call it in the 21st century) can be deeply traumatic and unpleasant for the victim.

You can't judge other's responses by your own (rather odd sounding) standards.

Well I must not be a sensitive as you. Tell me as a matter of interest if someone (I don't know if you're a man or a woman) nipped your backside in a nightclub, would you be traumatised? I wouldn't I may be annoyed, even make a complaint, but I wouldn't be traumatised.

I don't see that sort of incident as sexual assault.

My gut feeling is that were true, but I wasn't on the jury.

So if just one glory hunter had come forward you as a juror wouldn't have needed much convincing to convict?

---------- Post added 13-09-2013 at 17:25 ----------

I don't know, and don't like to suppose. I have to trust our courts, and Le Vell was found innocent. That is enough for me.

So the girl made up the allegations? Why do you think she picked Michael Le Vell and not you?

Archived