Is it time for anonymity for the accused?

Rather the very occasional innocent man have a hard time than many more victims be denied the chance of justice.

The number of false accusations is tiny compared to the number of rapists who are never charged or convicted.

I shall remind you of this post should you or someone you care about be wrongly of rape. You (and others) still hold the opinion that he might have done it. There will be others who will go that stage further and assume he did it and got off ("no smoke without fire"). He's been found not guilty by the courts but in the court of public opinion he will remain constantly under suspicion and his name permantantly tarnished.

That said, with rape convictions dreadfully low, do we move the goalposts to guilty unless proved innocent?

Btw, I had the dubious pleasure of listening to Jeremy vine about this topic. He had a few blokes who had gone through being wrongly accused of rape. They lost jobs, businesses suffered mental health issues and were assaulted. Being wrongly accused isn't just an inconvenience.

I shall remind you of this post should you or someone you care about be wrongly of rape. You (and others) still hold the opinion that he might have done it. There will be others who will go that stage further and assume he did it and got off ("no smoke without fire"). He's been found not guilty by the courts but in the court of public opinion he will remain constantly under suspicion and his name permantantly tarnished.

That said, with rape convictions dreadfully low, do we move the goalposts to guilty unless proved innocent?

Btw, I had the dubious pleasure of listening to Jeremy vine about this topic. He had a few blokes who had gone through being wrongly accused of rape. They lost jobs, businesses suffered mental health issues and were assaulted. Being wrongly accused isn't just an inconvenience.

I never said it was, but the fact remains that there are far more men getting away with it than being falsely accused of it.

I never said it was, but the fact remains that there are far more men getting away with it than being falsely accused of it.

Blackstone's formulation

All presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for the law holds it better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent party suffer

Blackstone’s Formulation is Universally Respected, Except When it Comes to Rape

When it comes to the subject of false rape claims, every feminist becomes an actuary. She examines the cooked statistics promulgated by the sexual grievance industry, rejects contrary statistics due to imaginary flaws in “methodology,” and declares that the risk to innocent men and boys is both de minimis and socially acceptable compared to the purported far greater harm of actual rape. This gives her moral license to trivialize the harm to the falsely accused, and to see those victimized by rape lies as less than human.

Quote me then.

You've repeatedly accused men of getting away with rape. Come on then name names, or maybe a link?

Exactly, wish I'd heard the show.

Blackstone's formulation

All presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for the law holds it better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent party suffer

Blackstone’s Formulation is Universally Respected, Except When it Comes to Rape

When it comes to the subject of false rape claims, every feminist becomes an actuary. She examines the cooked statistics promulgated by the sexual grievance industry, rejects contrary statistics due to imaginary flaws in “methodology,” and declares that the risk to innocent men and boys is both de minimis and socially acceptable compared to the purported far greater harm of actual rape. This gives her moral license to trivialize the harm to the falsely accused, and to see those victimized by rape lies as less than human.

Very good point about Blackstone's formula of which I wasn't unaware. I feel the issue is not only about crime though. It's political, intertwined in feminist ideologies. They're not bothered about justice for the victims, its more to do with revenge, not against those accused, but men in general.

You've repeatedly accused men of getting away with rape. Come on then name names, or maybe a link?

Approximately 85,000 women raped in the UK per year -

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/Statistics2.php

and about 1,070 people convicted of rape each year -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/100000-assaults-1000-rapists-sentenced-shockingly-low-conviction-rates-revealed-8446058.html

By my reckoning that's about 83,930 rapists getting away with rape.

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 15:45 ----------

I feel the issue is not only about crime though. It's political, intertwined in feminist ideologies. They're not bothered about justice for the victims, its more to do with revenge, not against those accused, but men in general.

What evidence is there for this assertion?

Approximately 85,000 women raped in the UK per year -

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/Statistics2.php

and about 1,070 people convicted of rape each year -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/100000-assaults-1000-rapists-sentenced-shockingly-low-conviction-rates-revealed-8446058.html

By my reckoning that's about 83,930 rapists getting away with rape.

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 15:45 ----------

What evidence is there for this assertion?

Again I must correct your legally dubious post. There are not 85,000 women raped a year by men. There are 85,000 women who alleged rape against men. As there is no conviction we can also claim that 85,000 men a year are wrongly alleged to have committed rape.

You really must try to stop being a water carrier for such groups who make such claims.

Its a mistake as well to blame men only for rape. Its quite common for lesbians to rape other women. One in three lesbians claims to have been raped by another woman.

There's an article here.

http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2010/Lesbian-on-Lesbian-Rape/

If one in three lesbians claims to have been raped then this will, I think, make the issue more prevalently committed by women. I don't have the data but I assume one in three straight women don't claim to have been raped by a man.

Again I must correct your legally dubious post. There are not 85,000 women raped a year by men. There are 85,000 women who alleged rape against men. As there is no conviction we can also claim that 85,000 men a year are wrongly alleged to have committed rape.

There is nothing 'legally dubious' about the figures I presented. They ome from reputable sources.

The absence of conviction does not mean that 85,000 men are wrongly alleged to have raped.

Its a mistake as well to blame men only for rape. Its quite common for lesbians to rape other women. One in three lesbians claims to have been raped by another woman.

Wrong. One in three women - according to the article you link you - say they have been sexually assaulted by other women.

If one in three lesbians claims to have been raped then this will, I think, make the issue more prevalently committed by women. I don't have the data but I assume one in three straight women don't claim to have been raped by a man.

The vast majority of rape is perpetrated by men against women.

You sound rather like a misogynistic man pretending to be a woman.

Which begs the question, why was Michael De Vell brought to court with no forensic or corroborating evidence or proof.

I think that giving Michael De Vell the chance to clear his name was the best thing that could have happened to him in the situation that he was in. Without it the accusations would have been hanging over his head, the evidence was heard in public and the jury decided he was innocent.

That should be the end of it.

Archived