Should MPs employ family members?

That might be the case. Its a hell of a coincidence though that for so many MPs a close family member just happened to be the best candidate. Fancy that?

It's usually the case with family businesses too. Being on site is the major consideration. Much of a PAs work is keeping a diary, answering the phone and keeping an office. I'm not sure what qualifications you really need for that.

I don't really see the problem. They have to employ someone.

Considering that they employ people using taxpayers money, simply giving them a free hand results in the following state of affairs:

Derek Conway's two sons, Henry and Freddie, who earned more than £80,000 while working for their father, was the first of the expenses scandals to hit the Commons, three years ago.

Mr Conway was ordered to repay £17,000 after watchdogs ruled Henry's salary of £10,000 for an 18-hour week was too high. They also said Freddie – then a student – had been "all but invisible" while working for his father.

LINK

So I guess it really doesn't matter to you how much MPs pay their offspring, how much work they do for it (if any) or whether they are the best person for the job (if not, a more appropriate candidate is losing out).

I guess it's just one of life's amazing little coincidences that the best qualified person for the job just happens to be related to them. :rolleyes:

I was looking through the list of how corrupt different countries are perceeived. It seems that we waste an awful lot of money in aid to countries where corrupt regimes simply salt it away for themselves.

:rolleyes:

Considering that they employ people using taxpayers money, simply giving them a free hand results in the following state of affairs:

LINK

So I guess it really doesn't matter to you how much MPs pay their offspring, how much work they do for it (if any) or whether they are the best person for the job (if not, a more appropriate candidate is losing out).

I guess it's just one of life's amazing little coincidences that the best qualified person for the job just happens to be related to them. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Oh such anger and smileys.. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::

Just remind us whilst you are scraping the barrel looking for your instance to quote how many MPs went to jail for fiddling expenses. Did they have family members helping with the fiddling?

---------- Post added 13-09-2013 at 16:40 ----------

It probably keeps marriages together if the MPs spouse is employed to work alongside them rather than hardly ever seeing them at all.

Its also a pretty good way of keeping confidential matters confidential Didn't Lembic Opic have an assistant who turned out to be KGB?

Archived