Delhi Gang Rapists sentenced to Death

One of the reasons people give for opposing the death penalty is that we might kill an innocent man. So is it more human to kill in innocent man or lock one up for life.
This is the main reason I have for opposing the death penalty. When Britain still had the death penalty, a person condemned to death was dead within three weeks, and I know of one certain execution of an innocent man, which is one too many. Some executions in the US are delayed for years while the defence lawyers try to save their client, and recently several cases have been turned over due to genetic proof that the person was innocent. I was unfortunate enough to be selected for jury duty for the case of a young mother who had allegedly killed her young children because the boy friend didn't like them. I opted out during voir dire, stating that at my age I couldn't guarantee staying awake. I was close to 70 at the time and would have been excused anyway after the case went to court. But I could not and would not have condemned that woman to death.

I'm new to the forum so bear with me please.

I've got to say that I 100% agree with the death penalty for these men, what they did to that young girl was despicable, they behaved like animals.

Most women feel vunerable and threatened at some point in life and the threat of rape is always at the back of our minds, its probably one of the worst things that could happen to a woman. My reasons aren't based on facts or politics they are based on the devastation every rapist cause's to the life of the woman he has raped.

A few people on here only seem to care about the welfare of rapists,paedos and murderers once they are caught.

One culprit escaped the law because he was juvenile. He is awarded only 3 years.

From the statements recorded, this juvenile was the most aggressive and is the one who inserted the bent rod and pulled the (redacted). I wish his verdict gets challenged in higher court and he meets a similar fate as these other 4 convicts. He was juvenile by only couple of months.

India doesn't have laws to "try a juvenile as an adult" unfortunately. 3 years is maximum sentence for a juvenile. There is nothing to appeal.

I can almost speak with certainty, given privacy here in India, that this person will never lead a good life...will probably be murdered soon after his release.

This is the main reason I have for opposing the death penalty. When Britain still had the death penalty, a person condemned to death was dead within three weeks, and I know of one certain execution of an innocent man, which is one too many.

If the UK brought the death penalty back, how likely would it be for an innocent man to be found guilty and executed with today's level of evidence, DNA evidence is usually conclusive.

If the UK brought the death penalty back, how likely would it be for an innocent man to be found guilty and executed with today's level of evidence, DNA evidence is usually conclusive.

Could this be assisted with the introduction of a compulsory DNA database? I wouldn't mind signing up for one, it were to help eliminate innocent men from the perverts in our society.

Usually isn't always. And DNA isn't always a deciding factor. There are cases where both sides say sexual activity took place but one says it was forced and the other consensual.

Could this be assisted with the introduction of a compulsory DNA database? I wouldn't mind signing up for one, it were to help eliminate innocent men from the perverts in our society.

I wouldn't have a problem with a compulsory DNA data base, but I don't think such a suggestion will go down to well.

---------- Post added 13-09-2013 at 22:16 ----------

Usually isn't always. And DNA isn't always a deciding factor. There are cases where both sides say sexual activity took place but one says it was forced and the other consensual.

In that case there would be insufficient evidence for a conviction and even if the jury decided to convict I'm sure a judge would have enough sense not issue the death penalty. There are many levels of rape some of which are much more deserving of the death penalty than others. The op being a good example of one deserving the death penalty.

Archived