Car rattles - advice please

I have a 1999 ford focus which rattles when going over bumps but is fine on smooth roads. Have taken it to get checked out and the garage gave me a few things I need to get sorted. The two main things they said were urgent were both front suspension links have gone and the near side coil spring.

Do any of you know if that would be the cause? Don't want to spend the money getting it fixed if its not actually the reason!

Before anyone says, I didn't ask the mechanic as he was very pushy and made me feel uncomfortable! Would like an impartial opinion before taking it elsewhere!

Thanks!

It could be the cause.

I've just done the rear drop links on my car, 2005 Nissan Primera and it cleared a lot of noise. The front is rattling and I will be changing those soon, same symptoms as yours, fine on smooth roads but rattles over bumps. it could be described as a knock instead of a rattle.

They're not expensive parts, mine were £13 each.

Put "drop links" into youtube and compare the noise on the videos to the noise your car is making.

It could be the cause.

I've just done the rear drop links on my car, 2005 Nissan Primera and it cleared a lot of noise. The front is rattling and I will be changing those soon, same symptoms as yours, fine on smooth roads but rattles over bumps. it could be described as a knock instead of a rattle.

They're not expensive parts, mine were £13 each.

Put "drop links" into youtube and compare the noise on the videos to the noise your car is making.

This - I had a similar knock on my Astra when going over bumps, I changed the suspension springs and the drop link practically fell out, problem solved. I bought a pair of new drop links, didn't cost me £30.

I have a 1999 ford focus which rattles when going over bumps but is fine on smooth roads. Have taken it to get checked out and the garage gave me a few things I need to get sorted. The two main things they said were urgent were both front suspension links have gone and the near side coil spring.

Do any of you know if that would be the cause? Don't want to spend the money getting it fixed if its not actually the reason!

Before anyone says, I didn't ask the mechanic as he was very pushy and made me feel uncomfortable! Would like an impartial opinion before taking it elsewhere!

Thanks!

Link rods and spring mot failure.Both can make the car handle badly.My advice is have them fixed.As you will have to do them for the mot anyway.

Thanks so much for all your replies!

Martss... Took your advice and checked out YouTube and it sounds exactly like the noise mine is making!

Will definitely be getting them fixed as I'd be too worried not to, just relieved it will sort out the noise too!

Archived