Term time school holidays

Sorry for late reply.

'strawman'? what is this? Not knowing sahib. :(

It's where you counter a point that I didn't make.

So I say that there are cheaper options than Barbados and you say in response, the UK costs more than foreign holidays. You were challenging an assertion I hadn't made.

Due to modern things like AirBnb you can always find a good place to stay.

But it is the flights prices that rise amazingly.

Anyone who has ever been on a flight with package tour type people will never want to experience it again.

Why not make the summer school holidays just, say, 3 weeks in September, and the long holidays over the winter months?

This would be good in many ways.

Heating costs of schools dramatically reduced,

No lost days due to teachers being snowed off, and having a days skive,

No having to put up with screaming kids when you are trying to relax.

It would be a winner for all concerned.

Except for the parents and children...

Oh, and I suppose the teachers who'd rather have time off in the summer.

So in fact, lose, lose, all round.

Travel adds quite a bit more I'd suggest. Is it a seaside villa? South of France? For three people?

If so, please could you link, as I could find nothing in July for under £1500. You'd be doing me a favour!

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 14:31 ----------

All seemed to be over £1k when I just looked?

Plus they're tents. You can get a tent in the UK cheaper still.

Try this: Villa in France

It's probably not exactly what you want or where you want it but it's certainly doable for the price.

With two driving it's possible to get to Perpignan in a day so travel costs are just the ferry, fuel and food.

Guest sibon
Try this: Villa in France

It's probably not exactly what you want or where you want it but it's certainly doable for the price.

With two driving it's possible to get to Perpignan in a day so travel costs are just the ferry, fuel and food.

And tolls. Unless you fancy a very long drive on the RN.

It's where you counter a point that I didn't make.

So I say that there are cheaper options than Barbados and you say in response, the UK costs more than foreign holidays. You were challenging an assertion I hadn't made.

Except for the parents and children...

Oh, and I suppose the teachers who'd rather have time off in the summer.

So in fact, lose, lose, all round.

For a start I would not advocate a holiday in the Caribbean.

It is too far to go for a holiday where you are not respected.

You can go and be disrespected with far shorter flights in Europe. ;)

(It does English people good to be disrespected, to stop us getting highfalutin ideas about silly things, like being better than our fellow Europeans.)

If teachers want better holiday prospects, they would be better following my idea of staggered holidays, spread throughout the year.

For a start I would not advocate a holiday in the Caribbean.

It is too far to go for a holiday where you are not respected.

You can go and be disrespected with far shorter flights in Europe. ;)

(It does English people good to be disrespected, to stop us getting highfalutin ideas about silly things, like being better than our fellow Europeans.)

If teachers want better holiday prospects, they would be better following my idea of staggered holidays, spread throughout the year.

What gives you the idea the English are disrespected in the Caribbean ? There was certainly no sign whatsoever of that in Barbados. A friendlier country it would be hard to find, and I`ve been to a few. I would say Taiwan would come second.

What gives you the idea the English are disrespected in the Caribbean ? There was certainly no sign whatsoever of that in Barbados. A friendlier country it would be hard to find, and I`ve been to a few. I would say Taiwan would come second.

I was trying to be witty.

I shall give it up on here I think.

It is far too serious for flippancy. :)

I was trying to be witty.

I shall give it up on here I think.

It is far too serious for flippancy. :)

Oh I get you. I wasn`t sure because some people going to the Caribbean for the first time wonder if the locals have forgotten Empire and (more particularly) slavery. On the subject of which, holidays being educational, where is there a better place in the world to learn about slavery than the Caribbean ? Looking round an old slave dwelling etc ?

Well, I literally just did that search and that campsite is available for £417 for the 1st July.

The fact is that you can have a foreign holiday for a reasonable price. And even so, it's not some kind of human right. If someone can't afford it, go somewhere cheaper (is what I said about Barbados).

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 14:39 ----------

Taking children out of school is something to do with the state though, which is what the entire conversation is about.

Personally I think it should be down to the parents decision.

But, that doesn't mean that I'll let the frankly odd excuses slide, Barbados to learn to swim, my child won't swim anywhere else! They'll remember the turtles. No they won't, they're 4.

And the state had a system where up to 10 days a year absence was permitted (a system that still applies in Wales).

The system was not perfect but it provided some leeway and flexibility for parents where sometimes the needs of the education system are not compatible with other, usually work, commitments.

The education system may grind to a halt for 13 weeks a year but the rest of society does not. Shops still open. Businesses still operate. Factories still open. Buses and trains still run. Parents still have to go work in said shops, businesses and factories. Buses and trains don't drive themselves yet.

Oh I get you. I wasn`t sure because some people going to the Caribbean for the first time wonder if the locals have forgotten Empire and (more particularly) slavery. On the subject of which, holidays being educational, where is there a better place in the world to learn about slavery than the Caribbean ? Looking round an old slave dwelling etc ?

I'd suggest that a better place is a classroom.

---------- Post added 14-04-2017 at 09:23 ----------

And the state had a system where up to 10 days a year absence was permitted (a system that still applies in Wales).

The system was not perfect but it provided some leeway and flexibility for parents where sometimes the needs of the education system are not compatible with other, usually work, commitments.

The education system may grind to a halt for 13 weeks a year but the rest of society does not. Shops still open. Businesses still operate. Factories still open. Buses and trains still run. Parents still have to go work in said shops, businesses and factories. Buses and trains don't drive themselves yet.

Yes it did, but that was changed a few years ago and it's precisely what we're discussing.

So "it's not their business" isn't a particularly helpful contribution to the discussion.