Term time school holidays

21 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Kids didn't "miss 7 months of school".

School buildings may have been closed, but teaching continued remotely.

And kids may not have directly been at risk from covid, they were certainly strong contenders at passing it on.

1 - Kids did miss 7 months of schooling

2 - Kids at our school had no remote learning at all for the first lockdown, and not much for the second, it was about 1 hour a day and the parents had to do all the rest. But are you saying remote learning mainly by the parents is all they need ? If so parents can do that on holiday.....

3 - Kids were very poor spreaders of the first variant of Covid, in fact the Swiss didn't think they spread it at all. They were wrong, but the fact they thought that emphasises how unlikely they were to spread the infection :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

BUT, adults are supposed to protect kids not the other way around.

20 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

All you talk about is Covid.  Others are trying to move on from it but you can't seem to.

I'm saying that bearing in mind they shut the schools for 30 weeks parents should not be fined for taking their kids out of school for one poxy week. The latter is happening, now.

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

You know exactly why they were kept out of school 

No I do not actually, I never agreed with it and I am willing to bet large amounts of money it will be seen to have been a big mistake. The point is kids education was seen as expendable then, but now, losing even one week is extremely serious, so much so the parents must be fined. Even worse it's per child and per parent : thus discriminating against families with more than one child and also families with two parents.

It's disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Edited by Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

1 - Kids did miss 7 months of schooling

2 - Kids at our school had no remote learning at all for the first lockdown, and not much for the second, it was about 1 hour a day and the parents had to do all the rest. But are you saying remote learning mainly by the parents is all they need ? If so parents can do that on holiday.....

3 - Kids were very poor spreaders of the first variant of Covid, in fact the Swiss didn't think they spread it at all. They were wrong, but the fact they thought that emphasises how unlikely they were to spread the infection :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

BUT, adults are supposed to protect kids not the other way around.

I'm saying that bearing in mind they shut the schools for 30 weeks parents should not be fined for taking their kids out of school for one poxy week. The latter is happening, now.

Can I just ask: why don’t you homeschool or private tuition your kids?

Then your problem is solved, you can go on holiday whenever, no fines whatsoever.

Edited by L00b

23 minutes ago, L00b said:

Oh no, the government certainly closed the schools, for 30 weeks <or however long>.
That *is* a fact.

Likewise the well-documented deaths and still-better-documented Long Covid after-effects of infected children, all statistically-irrelevant as your “death rates” graph may hold those to be (PS: I’m not going to engage you afresh on Covid, so don’t bother).

I’m asking you for the source of that quote,  *all of which* you claimed to be ‘facts’:

"We did shut the schools for 30 weeks because we don't think education is important enough to keep them open (despite the fact kids were at no risk from Covid), but now we are going to fine you if you take your child out for one week."

It was **** taking, but it was all true, as you have admitted.

And Long Covid was exaggerated, but I will answer that on the Covid thread.

6 minutes ago, L00b said:

Can I just ask: why don’t you homeschool or private tuition your kids?

Then your problem is solved, you can go on holiday whenever, no fines whatsoever.

This is not just about me, and in any case that is to avoid the point entirely. As it happens, I pay my taxes for my child to be educated, except he wasn't for 7 months.

Actually, to clarify, our lad got into school 1 day a week in the first lockdown and 2 days  a week in the second. So it could be said we were lucky to only miss the equivalent of around 5 months education, because most kids missed the full 7 months.

Edited by Chekhov

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And Long Covid was exaggerated, but I will answer that on the Covid thread.

This is not just about me, and in any case that is to avoid the point entirely. As it happens, I pay my taxes for my child to be educated, except he wasn't for 7 months.

Actually, to clarify, our lad got into school 1 day a week in the first lockdown and 2 days  a week in the second. So it could be said we were lucky to only miss the equivalent of around 5 months education, because most kids missed the full 7 months.

It is though , it’s all about you and your righteousness 

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And Long Covid was exaggerated, but I will answer that on the Covid thread

I haven’t “admitted that it was all true”, so hold your horses some.

Thank you for admitting that wasn’t “facts”, gracious of you. I’m loathe to go all-pedant on posters about this, but in this day and age, facts are a very important and precious commodity, every passing day more so as vested interests, politicians, influence peddlers and other professional gaslighters continue to twist, misrepresent and distort ‘facts’ to confuse people and render them more malleable to propaganda.

So, now, back to my suggestion. Homeschooling or private tuition, as a means to escape the corset of state schooling attendance rules…yeah? I mean, it’s what every conscientious liberal would do, right?

Edited by L00b

28 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

It is though , it’s all about you and your righteousness 

I think you are being  disingenuous here, you are deliberately missing the point (again). No it's about millions of parents who think like I do.

Maybe I did not make my position clear enough, we have not got any holidays booked during term time, what made me angry was two other sets of parents who have been caught by this hypocritical fine.

So, ironically, if anything I am being empathetic and you are not.

32 minutes ago, L00b said:

I haven’t “admitted that it was all true”, so hold your horses some.

Thank you for admitting that wasn’t “facts”, gracious of you. I’m loathe to go all-pedant on posters about this, but in this day and age, facts are a very important and precious commodity, every passing day more so as vested interests, politicians, influence peddlers and other professional gaslighters continue to twist, misrepresent and distort ‘facts’ to confuse people and render them more malleable to propaganda.

So, now, back to my suggestion. Homeschooling or private tuition, as a means to escape the corset of state schooling attendance rules…yeah? I mean, it’s what every conscientious liberal would do, right?

I thought you had admitted :

1 - Schools were shut for about 7 months

2 - Parents are still being fined for even one weeks holiday during term time

Since we are talking about education, you, and others appear to be saying holidays have no educational value. That is quite patently absurd, particularly more adventurous ones, which are often more expensive, and therefore possibly only affordable when it's cheaper.....

Just now, Chekhov said:

I think you are being  disingenuous here, you are deliberately missing the point (again). No it's about millions of parents who think like I do.

Maybe I did not make my position clear enough, we have not got any holidays booked during term time, what made me angry was two other sets of parents who have been caught by this hypocritical fine.

So, ironically, if anything I am being empathetic and you are not.

It doesn’t matter how many parents think like you do.

A country cannot organise and run a state schooling system on the basis that any number of children (millions according to your position just now) on and off the curriculum at anyone time, for reasons other than force majeure (illness mostly). Going on jollies is not ‘force majeure’, by any stretches of definition.

The State fulfills its obligation to teach children, with a number of strings all devised to ensure that minimum educational standards are met, one of which is attendance in term time.

If you want an exception because that system is unfit for your children/your family/etc, take your children out of that public system.

It is allowed, and that is what it’s for.

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I thought you had admitted :

1 - Schools were shut for about 7 months

2 - Parents are still being fined for even one weeks holiday during term time

I ‘admitted’ the first (inasmuch as acknowledging a fact is ‘admitting’ anything), not the second (but I’m happy to ‘admit’ that one too). These two points are a long way from the rest of that made up ‘quote’ of yours.

You and I both know very well, which bits of your ‘quote’ were made up (and you have acknowledged that yourself), including the quote itself, and which I took issue with. So I suggest that you stop digging.

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Since we are talking about education, you, and others appear to be saying holidays have no educational value. That is quite patently absurd, particularly more adventurous ones, which are often more expensive, and therefore possibly only affordable when it's cheaper.....

And my next suggestion here, is that you stop putting words and arguments in my posts, that I have not even suggested, never mind posted.

16 minutes ago, L00b said:

It doesn’t matter how many parents think like you do. Going on jollies is not ‘force majeure’, by any stretches of definition.

The State fulfills its obligation to teach children, with a number of strings all devised to ensure that minimum educational standards are met, one of which is attendance in term time.

If you want an exception because that system is unfit for your children/your family/etc, take your children out of that public system.

It is allowed, and that is what it’s for.

Well it should do because we are paying the taxes to pay for the schools in the first place....

The State fulfills its obligation to teach children, with a number of strings all devised to ensure that minimum educational

In the main it is the child who is off whose education "suffers", and it is up to the parents to ensure that child does enough work at home to make up. If the school was more positive it could provide a list of exactly what work has been or will be missed and assist parents to accomplish that.

At the end of the day, and this is the $64,000 point which none of you have answered, if one week is so vital, how vital are 7 months......

Going on jollies is not ‘force majeure’, by any stretches of definition.

Most of the holidays we take our child on are at least as educational as what he learns in school, I am 100% certain of that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chekhov said:

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

And my next suggestion here, is that you stop putting words and arguments in my posts, that I have not even suggested, never mind posted.

L00b said :

Going on jollies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

You and I both know very well, which bits of your ‘quote’ were made up (and you have acknowledged that yourself), including the quote itself, and which I took issue with. So I suggest that you stop digging.

Here is my p*** taking "quote", which bit is untrue ?

"We did shut the schools for 30 weeks because we don't think education is important enough to keep them open (despite the fact kids were at no risk from Covid), but now we are going to fine you if you take your child out for one week."

It is all 100% true.

Edited by Chekhov