Term time school holidays

52 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Surely  'middle class'  parents who are so  "...very bothered about the education of their kids..."would not remove their children from school for weeks at a time particularly as they 'lost' months during closures. 

I am 100% certain my lad would get more out of a trip to South Korea, AUS and NZ than the two weeks he'd miss school.

Just to repeat, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

This is particularly the case when he has not had any other time off all year (apart from the teachers strikes obviously....), and he is "encouraged" (read bribed) to do loads of extra maths etc at home. He's past his tenth birthday and is doing algebra, including substitution algebra.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Right, an academic year is 39 weeks. Missing 1 week (even if it is for no personal, social, familial or educational benefit, which is never the case anyway) would constitute 2.6%. Or an attendance rate of 97.4%. 

More to the point, after they kept kids off school for 7 months, why are they pursuing parents who take their kids off for one poxy week when they have caused this avalanche of serious absenteeism ?? I think we know, because they are an easy target.

Most hypocritical of all is Michael Gove who first introduced the fines, he was an arch supporter of all the suppression of society, including in education.

The Times, Mon 22 May 2023, p14

1.7m pupils regularly miss school

Data shows that the number of children severely absent from school was still far above pre-pandemic levels.

A rise in mental health problems and a culture of staying at home during lockdowns are thought to be among reasons that the number of children absent more than 50% of the time has doubled since the start of the pandemic.

Persistent absence is defined as missing more than 10% of the school year [approx four times 2.7%] and the rate for that has almost doubled from 13% before the pandemic to 24% now.

I would only add that I reckon many parents are more likely to take their kids out of school because they think (possibly subconsciously) well, if the government thought it acceptable for pupils to miss 7 months schooling, then 1 or 2 weeks cannot possibly be that significant. And they're right.

Again you ignore the fact I often speak for the majority. I certainly do on this subject.

I can only repeat I have never, repeat never, spoken to any parent (face to face) who agrees with parents who take their kids out of school for one poxy week out of 39 being fined. And opinion on that has hardened still further after the government shut the schools for seven bleedin' months for a virus kids were at no risk from.

You CLAIM falsely, that you speak for the majority.  You should either prove this or retract it.  It's also easy to make statements that other people agree with you when that is obviously a lie.

You make it clear that you DONT' believe in following rules,  only the ones you approve of.   No one should expect that they should only obey rules which they like or the result would be chaos. 

You spend a lot of time calling other people hypocrite but the biggest hypocrite on the forum is you who openly admit to not following rules, whilst criticicing other people who take the same liberties.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

You are suffering from an inaccurate view of me.

Being forced to wear a mask ?
I am for breaking that rule yes.

Being forced to get vaccinated ?

Being stopped from videoing ones own child racing in a gala ?

Being fined for taking ones child out  of school for a fabulous holiday ?

I am for breaking that rule yes (but not lying about it : "my child is ill", that sets a bad example).

Being stopped from travelling internationally for no good reason (it made no soddin' difference whatsoever) ?

I could go on but my point is made.

Sorry, possible breakdown in communication.

I am delighted if you aren't actually one of those who supported, and still support, the suppression of society to try (unsuccessfully as it happened) to suppress Covid.

Accepting that withdrawing a child for six months from their schooling on top of everything is wrong, Trying to justify it by blaming others just sounds daft. I am really not interested in your political views and your need to publicize your beliefs or the history of your martyrdom in the face of suppression by the state and its agencies. That is your story and has no effect or influence on anybody, however when you cross the line and your beliefs and actions are affecting others then you should be challenged.  Feel free to act in the way you choose but be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions on others, something you regularly fail to accept but for some unknown reason you need to tell us about every day.     

Most people in your situations would say nothing and get on with it.

Withdrawing a child for five days per year is a loss of two months over a child's school education. Fifteen days a year would be six months.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I am 100% certain my lad would get more out of a trip to South Korea, AUS and NZ than the two weeks he'd miss school.

Just to repeat, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

This is particularly the case when he has not had any other time off all year (apart from the teachers strikes obviously....), and he is "encouraged" (read bribed) to do loads of extra maths etc at home. He's past his tenth birthday and is doing algebra, including substitution algebra.

What would he get ? Why are you making him do Algebra?

Edited by hackey lad

11 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I’m pretty sure that those kids on scooters in Bristol have their own justifications for ignoring the law.

You don’t get to choose which laws you obey or ignore. Unless you want anarchy.

What about patently unjust laws ? Germany 1930s for instance ?

But in any case, we are talking about stuff which is of no significant risk to anyone else anyway. Completely different from tearing about at nearly 30mph on an E Bike, which could easily injure or even kill someone.

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You CLAIM falsely, that you speak for the majority.  You should either prove this or retract it.  It's also easy to make statements that other people agree with you when that is obviously a lie.

I can assure you 100% (or 110% if I were  a professional footballer) that I do speak for the majority of parents on this.

It is CERTAIN.

Edited by Chekhov

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You make it clear that you DONT' believe in following rules,  only the ones you approve of.   No one should expect that they should only obey rules which they like or the result would be chaos. 

You spend a lot of time calling other people hypocrite but the biggest hypocrite on the forum is you who openly admit to not following rules, whilst criticicing other people who take the same liberties.

I have already answered this question, but your glass house is in mortal danger from the stones you are throwing. You, I seem to remember, were supporting the right of Nett Zero zealots to not only break the law but directly negatively affect the lives of many 100s (possibly even many 1000s) of people by trying to shut roads etc.

None of the things I mentioned would affect anyone else, not in any realistic scenario anyway, so how exactly would that "cause chaos" ?

Edited by Chekhov

10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

What about patently unjust laws ? Germany 1930s for instance ?

But in any case, we are talking about stuff which is of no significant risk to anyone else anyway. Completely different from tearing about at nearly 30mph on an E Bike, which could easily injure or even kill someone.

As I said. I’m sure that the kids on e-bikes have equally internalised justifications for their own law breaking.

Just now, Prettytom said:

As I said. I’m sure that the kids on e-bikes have equally internalised justifications for their own law breaking.

As have those who trespass on the railway who are 100% certain that they and the people they are responsible for are safe.

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What would he get ? Why are you making him do Algebra?

>>What would he get ?<<

Depends, usually time on the computer, but it could also be a treat he would not otherwise have got, or getting out of a chore, or, as an alternative to a punishment if he has done something wrong. In the case of the latter it's a win win, something positive rather than something negative.

>>Why are you making him do Algebra?<<

I am not making him do any extra schooling, he doesn't have to do it, other than his official school homework, he has to do that.

He gets the offer of a bribe and decides that, on balance, he wants to do it.

He is doing algebra in particular because the point in going over and over stuff like averages, volumes, surface areas, long division, decimal points, percentages etc when he already knows that ?

8 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I am not sure the sort of lads who razz about on uninsured motorbikes have much of a social conscience. And I suspect that must be how they have been bought up, after all, surely their parents must know they have these bikes ? Where do they store them ? Where do they work on them ? Where do they get them from ? It might even be they buy the things for them.

Edited by Chekhov