Term time school holidays

5 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As have those who trespass on the railway who are 100% certain that they and the people they are responsible for are safe.

I do not even understand what point you are making here TBH not do I understand the relevance of this to this thread.

But, what I do know is it is undoubtedly safer to cross most railway tracks then to cross many roads I could take you to. "Safe" is a relative word.

And if crossing railway tracks is so dangerous, why is it that the UK is one of the minority of countries that fences in its railway tracks ?

Excluding TGV type lines many other countries do not do that. 

27 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I can assure you 100% (or 110% if I were  a professional footballer) that I do speak for the majority of parents on this.

It is CERTAIN.

Prove it

41 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I do not even understand what point you are making here TBH not do I understand the relevance of this to this thread.

But, what I do know is it is undoubtedly safer to cross most railway tracks then to cross many roads I could take you to. "Safe" is a relative word.

And if crossing railway tracks is so dangerous, why is it that the UK is one of the minority of countries that fences in its railway tracks ?

Excluding TGV type lines many other countries do not do that. 

When you claim that you are "100% certain", then your track(!) record needs to be considered. What you claim is too often inaccurate and misleading and linked to your 'beliefs' and now we have more in the form of railway fencing. Railways in the UK have always required fencing unless classified as light railways, tramways, mineral lines, narrow gauge and even then most had/have fencing. Street railways and tramways have restrictions. Initially to protect the landowners livestock as speed increased the railway itself needed protection. Today security, responsibility and theft have seen much rebuilding of fencing.  In western europe fencing is the norm on high speed, inter-city, interregional, regional and urban railways. The exception being the rural light railway lines in some arable, coastal and mountainous areas. 

So no, I never accept 100% certainties or judgements and I certainly take with a pinch of salt people who mix up their beliefs with statistics to generate their evidence.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Prove it

Go and ask some parents, I am confident your ignorance will be put right. But in the meantime this poll :

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/04/04/support-term-time-holidays-increases

the proportion of people who think that families should not be allowed to take their kids out of school to go on holiday has dropped from 40% three years ago to 30% now.

I can assure you that after Covid, and the shutting of schools for 7 months, it will be much less than 30% now. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/parents-hit-hefty-school-fine-26830747

However, following the pandemic, the annual fine total has leapt by 257 per cent

And I can only repeat I have never spoken with any parent - face to face - who supports fines for taking kids out of school for one week a year, which is what I oppose. One week a year should be allowed, or, to allow for longer holidays, one week a year averaged out over 2 or 3 years.

You are at least consistent, just like with "Nett Zero" you support the population being told what to do against their will and without any opportunity to vote against it.

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

When you claim that you are "100% certain", then your track(!) record needs to be considered. What you claim is too often inaccurate and misleading and linked to your 'beliefs' and now we have more in the form of railway fencing. Railways in the UK have always required fencing unless classified as light railways, tramways, mineral lines, narrow gauge and even then most had/have fencing. Street railways and tramways have restrictions. Initially to protect the landowners livestock as speed increased the railway itself needed protection. Today security, responsibility and theft have seen much rebuilding of fencing.  In western europe fencing is the norm on high speed, inter-city, interregional, regional and urban railways. The exception being the rural light railway lines in some arable, coastal and mountainous areas. 

So no, I never accept 100% certainties or judgements and I certainly take with a pinch of salt people who mix up their beliefs with statistics to generate their evidence.

I was out on a hike and found myself on the wrong side of a railway line with no crossing for a mile or so each side. The most dangerous part of crossing that railway line was, without any doubt, climbing the soddin' fence.

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Go and ask some parents, I am confident your ignorance will be put right. But in the meantime this poll :

I don't need to ask anybody   -   It's not my job to find proof for a statement that you made.

If you cannot prove statements you make in a debate,  then you should not make those statements in the first place.

Under the circumstances,  I am calling you a liar and restating my belief that you are in a minority in this situation and that it is, as usual,  Chekhov should have special exemptions.

You just don't like the rules which everybody else has to accept.  You should cancel the holiday,  grow up,  and stop crying.

His whole conjecture that "he has to go to NZ and Australia in their summer and our winter" is absolute cobblers too, how cold does he think Australia and NZ are in July and August, its hardly Baltic conditions for crying out loud.

If he wanted he could go in April, during the 2 weeks holiday, meaning he only has to pull his spawn out of school for ONE week rather than two.

Or, just go in July/August.

Edited by HeHasRisen
typo

15 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

His whole conjecture that "he has to go to NZ and Australia in their summer and our winter" is absolute cobblers too, how cold does he thing Australia and NZ are in July and August, its hardly Baltic conditions for crying out loud.

If he wanted he could go in April, during the 2 weeks holiday, meaning he only has to pull his spawn out of school for ONE week rather than two.

Or, just go in July/August.

Or just go and don’t make a song and dance about it.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't need to ask anybody   -   It's not my job to find proof for a statement that you made.

If you cannot prove statements you make in a debate,  then you should not make those statements in the first place.

Under the circumstances,  I am calling you a liar and restating my belief that you are in a minority in this situation and that it is, as usual,  Chekhov should have special exemptions.

You just don't like the rules which everybody else has to accept.  You should cancel the holiday,  grow up,  and stop crying.

You are trolling now.

You said I was making it up that hardly any parents were in favour of fines for term time holidays of one week, but you then say you don't want to actually ask any parents (so as to prove it to yourself). To make matters worse you then ignore the proof I put on here.

You are wrong but arguing for the sake of it, as is common on internet forums.....

>>You just don't like the rules which everybody else has to accept.<<

I have already proved that hardly any parents agree with them.

Additionally you are showing your hypocrisy because you were arguing the Nett Zero extremists were right to stop thousands of people going about their every day business (by closing roads etc).

You really are a massive hypocrite.

>>You should cancel the holiday<<

Cancel a three week holiday to South Korea, AUS and NZ ?

You really are trolling now, or off your head.

Edited by Chekhov