Keetons strike action during 1980s

woodmally

Does anyone remember the company that was on strike virtually all through the 80s. They had a table near the Town Hall for collecting money for the strikers. I was only a kid so dont remember much.

It wasnt like a national industry or anything but they were constantly on strike. I cannot even remember what the strike was about.

Does anyone remember the company that was on strike virtually all through the 80s. They had a table near the Town Hall for collecting money for the strikers. I was only a kid so dont remember much.

It wasnt like a national industry or anything but they were constantly on strike. I cannot even remember what the strike was about.

It was keetons.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3227&highlight=keetons+darnall

sounds like keetons, some good the strike did eh lads? company long gone along with your jobs, it went on for years and years outside the gates and they still didnt get the message....strikes dont work!

in other words just get on with management taking the **** and lump it?

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 18:51 ----------

I remember Keetons having folks sitting outside for years. I thought it was 1990s though. Perhaps the idiots were sitting outside for a couple of decades.

it was mid 80s till some point in the earlyish nineties?

it went on for years and years outside the gates and they still didnt get the message....strikes dont work!

They didn't but seems like those in charge could see it for what it was.

My uncle was the union leader there who brought them all out on strike. After that he promptly quit and went to another job. One of the distgrunteld strikers burnt down his house

in other words just get on with management taking the **** and lump it?

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 18:51 ----------

it was mid 80s till some point in the earlyish nineties?

I bet that looks good on your CV.

"What were you doing for the last 10 years?"

"Oh I was picketing my last employer until they shut up shop and closed down."